Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received an Olight as a holiday gift . I occasionally carry a Thrunite or Streamlight . I have also owned a Surefire for around 15 years now . Anyone else carry a torch on occasion or everyday ?

· Registered
2,603 Posts
I carry a 600 lumen Olight as part of my EDC.

I keep a DeWalt headlamp in the car.

If power is out at the house, I'm usually grabbing my 4-D cell Maglight (which I got in the 80s); I know *exactly* where it is and I can grab it in the dark... and I can beat an intruder to death with it, if it comes to that.

DH

· Inactive
1,569 Posts
When walking the dogs here in the USA, I carry a 2500 lumen xml t6: thing is bright!
I have a number of various size maglites around the house, all of which need batteries......
When back in the UK, I use these, along with the rest of the dentally challenged population....

· Site Creator
11,821 Posts
Brio1:

First - the one for my wife.

Second - I have various brands in every room and the car!

Here in the Southern California desert many of the restaurants are on to the new high tech menus which light up when you open them!

But I understand it never gets that dark in Xanadu!

· Registered
756 Posts
Fenix E01 (1 AAA/LED) on my keychain...

Wood Office supplies Audio equipment Gadget Cable

Carried an ARC AAA-P for many years and then had the bright idea [har har] to switch to a larger flashlight for "everyday carry." By the time I realized that I didn't want to carry around something bulkier in my pocket, it was too late as I had already sold the ARC on eBay. The company had gone out of business and there are flashlight collectors that seek out the ARCs.

The Fenix E01 is sort of a Chinese knockoff of the old Made in USA ARC.

I probably use my little flashlight about every other day for something: searching inside boxes, checking the surface of a camera lens to see if it needs to be cleaned, looking for battery corrosion in some vintage electronic thing I might want to buy, etc. It's also *just* bright enough that I know I can go for a walk in complete darkness, like might be needed in an emergency (subway tunnel, for example), and also know I have long enough runtime (10+ hours) that I don't have to worry about it dying on me.

· Registered
275 Posts
In my day to day life I generally use the flashlight on my phone. Perfectly adequate for most situations.

In my professional life (policing), I have used a lot of the major brands and seen a tremendous evolution of the technology in recent years. I am not even that much of a flashlight junkie, the way some are. If I am going to fetishize something it would be more likely to be a car, a piece of clothing or a firearm.

Anyway, I've gone from the large and small Maglites (20 years ago) to upgrading significantly to Surefire products around 2005. First, to incandescent bulb Surefires, I think I had an E2E first. Then I got a dual LED / Incandescent bulb Surefire, an Aviator, that blew my mind. Then there was something of a big jump in terms of really high lumen LED products becoming available from other vendors, many of them Chinese, who somewhat left Surefire in the shade in terms of 'bang for buck' for a while... The only caveat being that Surefire was still the daddy of them all for reliability to some extent.

These days I have switched to some of these newer Chinese brands. I have been burned by Fenix in terms of unexplained failures, and I don't like the side-mounted activiation switch on some O-Lights, but I really rate products from Foursevens.

Current light for 'work', a Foursevens MMR-X which is micro-USB rechargeable and throws out such a multiple of the lumens of the clunky old Maglite I started with, at a fraction of the size and weight, it's remarkable. I have backups that take commonly available AA and AAA batteries. I wouldn't bother with anything that uses lithium batteries these days... It's either micro-USB charging, AAA or AA as a fallback, or nothing...

· Registered
3,250 Posts
I have made torches with kerosene as fuel as a young fellow in the deep of a snowy Colorado Winter.

I spent some time in the U.K. on business and I recall them calling flashlights "Torches" and I went along because well, "While in Rome." But I don't call flashlights torches while I am in the USA because it seems a bit pretentious,...

I have a few flashlights with my go to unit being a four cell Maglite. I have a few LED lights that are much brighter but all of them go though batteries far too quickly for me to consider them reliable in the event of a power outage.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.