Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. New to the forum. Such a great resource, I must say.

So, I was hoping I could get some feedback. On the 9th of September, I am attending a wedding in Hawaii. I bought a white and blue striped Haspel seersucker from Syms for a little over $60 (if was 50% off). I went to my tailor and he fitted it and made alterations for me that day. I was going to wear a white shirt, no tie and brown sandals with it. Is this appropriate? Any suggestions?

Also, I know I should not be wearing a seersucker after Labor Day, but I am pretty sure no one will be the wiser, it is only 2 days after -and besides, the groom and groomsmen are wearing hemp suits and I am fairly certain most everyone will be in khakis and such and not dressed up like me.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Hi everyone. New to the forum. Such a great resource, I must say.

So, I was hoping I could get some feedback. On the 9th of September, I am attending a wedding in Hawaii. I bought a white and blue striped Haspel seersucker from Syms for a little over $60 (if was 50% off). I went to my tailor and he fitted it and made alterations for me that day. I was going to wear a white shirt, no tie and brown sandals with it. Is this appropriate? Any suggestions?

Also, I know I should not be wearing a seersucker after Labor Day, but I am pretty sure no one will be the wiser, it is only 2 days after -and besides, the groom and groomsmen are wearing hemp suits and I am fairly certain most everyone will be in khakis and such and not dressed up like me.
*HEMP* suits?

Oh my.

As to your ensemble, quite a few here will insist that men should never wear sandals. I would think that a nice pair of fishermans sandals (closed toe) would work, but probably some sort of light suede shoe would be bettter.

As to the shirt, if it were me I'd look for a plain white linen shirt that was cut to be worn open, rather than with a tie.

*HEMP* suits?

Oh my.

·
Registered
371 Posts
^ Boat shoes would be much better than sandals. I'd suggest penny loafers at least, but since it sounds like the event is going to be very casual anyways (hemp?!!), boat shoes will give you a very relaxed look.

And remember, no socks.

·
Registered
569 Posts
If the trousers are cuffed, boat shoes...if uncuffed, sandals will work, especially if the wedding is on the beach. Burks out here are the JL of sandals...most everyone here wears some sort of sandal. IMHO.

·
Banned
8,013 Posts
My experience has been that in Hawaii and parts of the South that usual seasonal considerations just may not apply.

I only wear sandals at the beach however, no matter where!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I am going to go the boat shoe route, and a brown (?) belt. I was going to try and find a white and blue d-ring belt as mentioned elsewhere but I cannot seem to find one.

·
Registered
268 Posts
If you actually have to trudge through sand to get to the ceremony and reception stick with the boat shoes. If you get to walk on solid land, go with the traditional white bucs (Yes, I have a Southern influence in my family) or brown and white specs. No offense to the Northeastern folks, but I don't think penny loafers belong with seersucker.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for your responses.

The wedding is being held on a really nice plantation in Kauai. I bought a pair of Sperry boat shoes and a white and blue shirt to go with. Turns out I like the blue better but the color is a bit high so I am going back for another. If only I could find a white canvas belt I would be in business but I am having trouble - anyone know where I can get one quick? I leave in 7 days!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.