Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lot of different shirtmakers have shirts with a collar style they describe as "English Spread." However, a lot of the so-called "English Spread" collars look different based on the shirtmaker.

Which shirtmaker do you think makes shirts which epitomize the "English Spread" collar?

I don't think it's T&A because their collars are more of a trademark look, with an inverted sharkfin shape. Possibly Charles Trwhitt, although the tips on their collars seem a bit pointier than what I think of as a normal English Spread although the angle of the spread looks about right.

What is your opinion?

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
I like Tyrwhitt's collars, both classic spread and cutaway (the latter of which they're now only putting on slimfits, for some reason).

If by "classic English spread" you mean the more moderate spread rather than the cutaway, I think that H&H, H&K, Coles, and Lewin all do very good examples of the breed, each subtly different in its own way but each well executed all the same. Of the three, I would say the H&K has the least spread (space between points when worn), which the Lewin probably has the most.

All these companies, IME, cut a collar that stays rather crisp and does not curl at the tips, as less well-made collars tend to do.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The original Thomas Pink collar.

W_B
A pretty definitive statement by an Englishman about a definitive English Spread collar :icon_smile:

If I asked a tailor for a shirt with an English spread collar and the shirt came back with a collar like the one on the Pink shirts I would have to say, yep - that's what I asked for....

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If the classic English shirt makers don't show classic English collars, please show us a picture of a English collar.
T&A is the only shirtmaker as far as I know that uses that style - reverse sharkfin.

Most English Shirtmakers use a collar style closer to Pink or CT. In this context, English spread would refer to the spread collar most commonly used by English shirtmakers.

Or from an American context, what an American bespoke shop would or should offer as a standard English spread collar option.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.