Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which of these admittedly inappropriate shoes would be preferable to you if you had no choice but to wear one pair or the other for a black tie event:

1. Black calf balmoral cap toe with brogueing. Example: Allen Edmonds' Hale

2. Black calf blucher cap toe with no brogueing. Example: Bostonian's Akron (I'm sure there is a higher quality example but I cannot think of one off the top of my head).

Basically which is a lesser evil - the open throat or the brogueing?

It has been mentioned countless times but to anyone wondering why these are inappropriate it is because they are not one of the following acceptable shoe options for black tie:

1. Patent opera pump.

2. Patent balmoral with no decorations such as brogueing or toe seams.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Which of these admittedly inappropriate shoes would be preferable to you if you had no choice but to wear one pair or the other for a black tie event:

1. Black calf balmoral cap toe with brogueing. Example: Allen Edmonds' Hale

2. Black calf blucher cap toe with no brogueing. Example: Bostonian's Akron (I'm sure there is a higher quality example but I cannot think of one off the top of my head).

Basically which is a lesser evil - the open throat or the brogueing?

It has been mentioned countless times but to anyone wondering why these are inappropriate it is because they are not one of the following acceptable shoe options for black tie:

1. Patent opera pump.

The latter, unless by broguing you meant a punch cap.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
The Hale seems to have relatively more "brogueing":
https://www.zappos.com/n/p/p/7347366/c/60.html
which takes it out of the black-tie running.

If it were simply this type of brogueing:

then I would prefer it to the blucher.

Either way, polish with extreme prejudice.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Either way, polish with extreme prejudice.
+1. I would take them to a professional and have them shined to a high gloss. I wore AE Park Avenues with black tie until I could afford proper opera pumps. Prior to using them in that capacity, I took them to the bootblack at the local Nordstrom. When he was done I could see my reflection in the toe caps.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts

1. Patent opera pump.

For the record, I do believe that opera pumps are considered appropriate whether patent or plain calf.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I'd go for the blucher as well. Just get them up to a miror shine, and your average person won't know the difference.
Your average person wouldn't know the difference with either of them. A lot of people consider broque to be "fancier." Only those in the know will take more than a cursory glance at your shoes anyway, in which case you're busted with either of them. But anyway, given only those two choices, I'm with everyone else, the cap toe blucher.

·
Aficianado
1,481 Posts
Sorry to disappoint.:icon_smile_big: In all seriousness, the DJ was one button peak and it was the only item I rented, the shirt (pleated front/turndown collar) bow tie (self tied!), cummerbund, braces, and shoes were all my bought on my own. I just couldn't spring for the suit. I didn't know about opera pumps and I thought the broguing was neat. At least they had leather soles.

???
I assumed the pajamas you wore when you were five years old had peak lapels and studs.
:cool:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.