Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
The larger swatch at the bottom looks like it is worsted. I'm assuming the two above that (the smaller swatches) are also worsted. From the photograph, I cannot tell any difference among the three. They are all a mid-grey (Oxford grey, perhaps?) and they would all be perfectly appropriate in a business or formal setting.

My personal choice for an ideal versatile suit would be an Oxford grey flannel, single-breasted, three-button model, with forward pleats (or flat-front) and cuffs in the trousers. Such a suit could go anywhere and can be easily dressed up or down with the right choice of shirts, ties and shoes. The grey is neutral enough to combine well with many other colours in shirts, ties and shoes. It would also be fine for a range of settings or occasions, from a business meeting to a relaxed (but dressy) dinner. Or weddings and perhaps even funerals!

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
From the photograph it would seem to be the case that the large swatch is darker than the middle one. But I can't be sure of this conclusion, unless I have the swatches at hand physically. Judgments of hue are complex perceptually and depends on a host of things including the surrounding colours and objects. Also, while we call grey a colour, strictly speaking it is achromatic (not part of the spectrum that goes from violet to red). It sits in the middle of a continuum that ranges from pure white to pure black.

My personal preference would be the large swatch at the bottom. It seems closer to an Oxford grey which falls in the middle of the grayscale.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts