Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having trouble differentiating between these greys for a business formal setting, I know they are all very similar and I probably can’t go wrong with either. I went with the bottom one for now but am having second thoughts.
Rectangle Grey Floor Flooring Beige

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
I am having trouble differentiating between these greys for a business formal setting
...which is similar to my failure to differentiate between the leaves on my porch in October since they all look the same. Not a bad choice, yours, because to the untrained eye there is no choice. I however have a trained eye, taught it to roll over, play dead, etc. and I cannot tell the difference. Park your worry and turn off the engine.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
The larger swatch at the bottom looks like it is worsted. I'm assuming the two above that (the smaller swatches) are also worsted. From the photograph, I cannot tell any difference among the three. They are all a mid-grey (Oxford grey, perhaps?) and they would all be perfectly appropriate in a business or formal setting.

My personal choice for an ideal versatile suit would be an Oxford grey flannel, single-breasted, three-button model, with forward pleats (or flat-front) and cuffs in the trousers. Such a suit could go anywhere and can be easily dressed up or down with the right choice of shirts, ties and shoes. The grey is neutral enough to combine well with many other colours in shirts, ties and shoes. It would also be fine for a range of settings or occasions, from a business meeting to a relaxed (but dressy) dinner. Or weddings and perhaps even funerals!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
...which is similar to my failure to differentiate between the leaves on my porch in October since they all look the same. Not a bad choice, yours, because to the untrained eye there is no choice. I however have a trained eye, taught it to roll over, play dead, etc. and I cannot tell the difference. Park your worry and turn off the engine.
Which would you personally go with? Also is the bottom one (large swatch) darker than the one right above it (middle swatch)?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The larger swatch at the bottom looks like it is worsted. I'm assuming the two above that (the smaller swatches) are also worsted. From the photograph, I cannot tell any difference among the three. They are all a mid-grey (Oxford grey, perhaps?) and they would all be perfectly appropriate in a business or formal setting.

My personal choice for an ideal versatile suit would be an Oxford grey flannel, single-breasted, three-button model, with forward pleats (or flat-front) and cuffs in the trousers. Such a suit could go anywhere and can be easily dressed up or down with the right choice of shirts, ties and shoes. The grey is neutral enough to combine well with many other colours in shirts, ties and shoes. It would also be fine for a range of settings or occasions, from a business meeting to a relaxed (but dressy) dinner. Or weddings and perhaps even funerals!
Which would you personally go with? Also is the bottom one (large swatch) darker than the one right above it (middle swatch)?

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
I am having trouble differentiating between these greys for a business formal setting, I know they are all very similar and I probably can’t go wrong with either. I went with the bottom one for now but am having second thoughts. View attachment 86771
The setting will be “business formal”? Then by going with the darkest fabric, you chose wisely.

Don’t overthink this.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
From the photograph it would seem to be the case that the large swatch is darker than the middle one. But I can't be sure of this conclusion, unless I have the swatches at hand physically. Judgments of hue are complex perceptually and depends on a host of things including the surrounding colours and objects. Also, while we call grey a colour, strictly speaking it is achromatic (not part of the spectrum that goes from violet to red). It sits in the middle of a continuum that ranges from pure white to pure black.

My personal preference would be the large swatch at the bottom. It seems closer to an Oxford grey which falls in the middle of the grayscale.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
The bottom swatch (large one) is the darkest in your view?
Yes, but only slightly darker than the other swatches. The reason I advised you not to overthink this matter is that you are trying to choose among three very similar shades of lightish/medium gray rather than between a lightish/medium gray and a dark/charcoal gray.

Because the three fabrics you’re pondering look so much alike, the debate doesn’t really amount to much. As Peak and Pine said, “Park your worry and turn off the engine.” (I can’t wait until I have an opportunity to plagiarize that sentence in some other context.)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, but only slightly darker than the other swatches. The reason I advised you not to overthink this matter is that you are trying to choose among three very similar shades of lightish/medium gray rather than between a lightish/medium gray and a dark/charcoal gray.

Because the three fabrics you’re pondering look so much alike, the debate doesn’t really amount to much. As Peak and Pine said, “Park your worry and turn off the engine.” (I can’t wait until I have an opportunity to plagiarize that sentence in some other context.)
Got it, thank you! Yeah the darker greys I looked at, looked almost black, so I wanted to stay away from those on this go round. I wanted a very distinct grey but not light. I have a dark charcoal grey, and although it formal and nice I think it is sometime too dark and you lose some of the character of the grey.

·
Registered
27,489 Posts
And the cloth I chose is not charcoal grey?
I don't believe so.

The term charcoal can be used to describe a range of colors, but I most often think of a burned charcoal briquette, almost black with possibly touches of lighter grey or white in it.

A useful comparison is provided by Fox Brothers for their 10 1/2oz worsted. They describe this as charcoal -

Where I would more commonly think of this cloth, which they term onyx -

Charcoal grey is close to black. It looks like a medium-dark grey in the photo.
+1! (y)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't believe so.

The term charcoal can be used to describe a range of colors, but I most often think of a burned charcoal briquette, almost black with possibly touches of lighter grey or white in it.

A useful comparison is provided by Fox Brothers for their 10 1/2oz worsted. They describe this as charcoal -

Where I would more commonly think of this cloth, which they term onyx -

+1! (y)
Thank you!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts