Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I have a job selling clothes and this forum has been a tremendous help but I'm starting to look into brand specifics. Here comes the bad part, I work at Macy's in a "casual" town. I know what we have in the men's department but most of our brands aren't discussed much on here. So as a mostly ignorant department store salesman I'm asking the forum to improve a Macy's.

What is the difference between a $595 Calvin Klein suit, $550 Ralph Lauren suit or $425 Jones NY suit (perpetually 30-50% off). I'm not even going to touch the alfani suits. I know the RL is going to be more of a sack cut while the Jones and CK are more tapered but other than that I'm just going by chest and length. Or even the real difference between Perry Ellis, Calvin Klein, Kenneth Cole, Geophery Beene, Nautica and Eagle shirts which is all of our non "macy's exclusive" mens shirts.

We have product information guides that talk about contemporary vs traditional styles of different brands but very little about construction and fabric which seems more important.

Depending on the response I'll ask about pants and ties but lets start small.

·
Registered
163 Posts
The CK and RL were being done in Canada, all fused, but are being shifted to China. I don't know if they have started already, but I know that the factory in China is at least experimenting with half-canvas construction for the CK (maybe RL too, don't know for sure). I know that factory group; Boss, Armani and Zegna have worked with them so they know what they are doing. Read up on the half-canvas construction so you can check your product to see if they have gone to the half-canvas yet.

Jones NY, Donald Trump, and the better part of Tasso Elba and Alfani are done by the same company; all fused construction, some out of Mexico and some out of Korea (maybe some out of Guatemala too, I don't remember) The goods produced in Korea are marginally better than the ones done in Mexico, but the company owns a fabric mill in Mexico which does some decent work (they also supply Z Zegna's fabric) so they eliminate a middle-man and can bring the goods in duty free under NAFTA; there is a value-for-money element involved because of this.

I'd be glad to hear of any corrections to this info if any of it is incorrect.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I worked for Field's until the Macy's takeover here in the Midwest, so I'll try inform you of what I remember about the lines. In suiting the Calvin Klein suits typically use a questionable fabric that will be fused or have a chest piece in them. They are severely inflated in price over quality, a lot of which is based off the name and the design. They tend to be rather over sized in their fitting as well, but I'm sure you've noticed that.

The Lauren/Ralph Lauren suits have better fabric, and decent construction for the price. Obviously there is nothing similar between a purple label Ralph Lauren and a Lauren suit in construction or fabric, but these suits are probably the best quality offered. Again, these are fairly boxy through the body and tend not to fit trim guys. with these, you can get better wear, but your tailor will have to do some trimming.

The Jones suits will probably have more modern styling and trim fit, however the fabric will not hold up in my experience. These are not good bets for someone who is looking for everyday where, but may be more geared toward the guy who only wears his suit rarely.

The house brand suits (alfani, club room especially) are very poorly made, often with glued seams if you look closely. The tasso elba line is a little better constructed, but still, corners have been cut on these suits (I usually don't even see mitered sleeves speaking of cutting corners)

As far as the shirting, the Geoffrey beene shirts are cotton/poly blend, so they have more sheen, they require less ironing, and they tend to pill pretty badly. They are vastly boxy and poorly sewn in the standard line.

I've found the Kenneth Cole shirts not to be as trim as advertised, and have had problems with the collars on both Kenneth Cole and Calvin Klein shirts. They do not wear well and often look flimsy. Nautica seems to make a pretty standard no frills shirt that has reasonable performance for the price, as does Perry Ellis. My store didn't carry eagle.

The house lines shirts are vastly different, the alfani are not good and will not hold up to washings, the club room are very similar to nautica, and the tasso elba shirts, when had on clearance, are not a bad deal. They have huge bodies, and are too often chemically treated, but you can find some decent shirts among them. I have one that I wear with sweaters, or anything to hide the body, and don't mind it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.