Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Over the last 6 months I’ve been trying to turn my wardrobe in the ivy/trad direction. I’ve been able to build up a collection of basic shoes, chinos, and to some extent, Oxford shirts. However, this has all been on a student’s budget. I unfortunately don’t have the money to spend at JPress or O’Connell’s for a sack blazer. Where might I be able to find a 3/2 sack blazer in the $200-$300 range (or possibly lower)?
I understand this might be an item that can’t be purchased cheaply. I’ve searched thrift stores, but as I’m a smaller size (36s or 36r), it’s rather tough to find.
Thanks,
Dennis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
130 Posts
It's going to be difficult to get a decent new jacket in that price range unless you can find a steep sale. If you haven't had luck thrifting, try posting on the Thrift Exchange here or looking on eBay. If you have a jacket that fits you well, measure it and use those measurements to guide your search. Many sellers of more-upscale clothing on eBay will post measurements. Quality things on eBay tend to sell pretty quickly, so checking in with regularity until you find what you want is a good tactic.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Brooks Brothers sack jacket comes in 36 (and 37 even) at $648 retail. Wait until Dec 26th and if it could be 20-40% off + the extra 15% kicker and it could get down to ~$350.
In general for sport coats, if I were a size 36, I'd consider the Boys section on eBay. I think the largest size in boys might be the equivalent of a 36. And the vintage brooks boys stuff looked identical to the mens offerings.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Brooks Brothers sack jacket comes in 36 (and 37 even) at $648 retail. Wait until Dec 26th and if it could be 20-40% off + the extra 15% kicker and it could get down to ~$350.
The BB sack is the gold standard. If you could pick one up for under $400, that would be an absolute steal in my opinion. Take good care of it, and it will last you many years. Just make sure to limit the egg nog consumption if you want to continue to fit into that size 36.

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
The BB sack is the gold standard. If you could pick one up for under $400, that would be an absolute steal in my opinion. Take good care of it, and it will last you many years. Just make sure to limit the egg nog consumption if you want to continue to fit into that size 36.
I just wanted to say I enjoy seeing that Jerry hand. Thanks to John Mayer's emergency appendectomy, I now have to wait until the end of February to see the Dead & Company show I've been so looking forward to.

Oh, and I agree on the BB sack blazer. I own it and it's fantastic.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Brooks Bros boy's department carries wool melton navy blazers and they're on sale right now. Perhaps a large or xl would fit you. I use to buy sweaters and jackets in the boy's department in my late teens.

If you're interested I'd call and get the measurements, since the sale price is online, and I'll bet that most BB stores won't have them in stock.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I just wanted to say I enjoy seeing that Jerry hand. Thanks to John Mayer's emergency appendectomy, I now have to wait until the end of February to see the Dead & Company show I've been so looking forward to.

Oh, and I agree on the BB sack blazer. I own it and it's fantastic.
Yeah, real bummer about John. I didn't get a chance to see them this time around, but I've really enjoyed seeing D&C the past couple of summers. They are one of the few post Garcia era projects I've gotten excited about. I'm glad you appreciate the avatar.

Somewhat back on topic, BB had a few "own make" sacks including Harris Tweeds for around $400 yesterday. I misread the fine print thinking I had more time, and now they are back over $500. Hopefully they'll come back down in price after Christmas. Contrary to how they look on the website models, these SC's are fairly close to a traditional fit. At 5'9", the slightly shorter length works well for me.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Somewhat back on topic, BB had a few "own make" sacks including Harris Tweeds for around $400 yesterday. I misread the fine print thinking I had more time, and now they are back over $500. Hopefully they'll come back down in price after Christmas. Contrary to how they look on the website models, these SC's are fairly close to a traditional fit. At 5'9", the slightly shorter length works well for me.
I've been watching the Own Makes for a while and was tempted by this weeks sale that you mentioned. Assuming they go ~25-30% off the sale price, plus the 15% kicker on the 26th I might pick one up, though.

The fit is good, but I think the wrong number is on the label. In my experience, I go one size up and it fits just like any other "correctly" labeled BB SC.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.