Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know a good place in Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore or Hongkong where I can obtain some nice cotton shirting fabrics?

Nothing extraordinarily luxurious or costly, I am specifically looking for various fabrics that are either
1) similar to Brooks Brothers non-iron 100% cotton
2) good value 2 plys 100s or 120s pure cotton.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Why shirting from Asia?

As I don't know your location, can't be too specific, but a couple of comments:

Why specifically do you want to source shirting from Sing/Thai/HK? I know Acorn/Classic (and presumably others) will sell to anyhwere.

Otherwise, why not ask the local shirtmakers where they get their fabric from?

The following post not only has a number of shirtmakers you could ask, but also some interesting comments on the whole process of getting shirts made:

www.mathieu.bouville.name/tailored-shirt-singapore.html

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you're in Bangkok, try Pahurat Market (aka Little India). That is where almost all of the fabric in the city is sold. As for value, that depends on your bargaining skills.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The reason for limiting my search to Asia is purely geographical. My work requires me to spend about 1 to 2 weeks each time in one city before moving to the next. I usually end up having some free time to do a little shopping.

The thing is that my business partner's father-in-law is a retired tailor and he makes shirts to my specification for some side income. I've been working with him for almost a year, paid the price in terms of several trial shirts and expensive mistakes, before having now reached a point where I am pretty satisified with shirt patterns, quality and minute details. The only caveat being that I have to search for my own fabrics and MOP buttons. Travelling often, I make it a point never to go for more luxurious shirtings which, although are really nice, betrays economical sense and practicality.

StrayanPom, I've almost given up on native shirtmakers in South East Asia for advice, they are mostly pushy, reluctant to share their sources and fabric books unless they are certain you will place a reasonably large order with them. I've been burned many times because all of them seem to exhibit the "I know what's best for you" syndrome and usually with an inferior end product to show for it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.