Men's Clothing Forums banner

When I want to make a statement, I do it with my...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With me, it's has to be eyewear. I love glasases--own five to wear inside; and three prescription sunglasses as well!

After getting dressed, I look at myself in the mirror, and determine which eyewear goes best with what I'm wearing.

True story: I once spent six hours at a Eyewear Retailer shopping for glasses, but I wound up with four great pieces! :icon_smile_wink:

Kind Regards,

Chase

· Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Whenever I wear shell cordovan shoes, I notice that some people will stare at them. I wonder what kind of statement these folks are perceiving?
Think positive, bd79cc! Perhaps they're wondering why they don't have the confidence to wear something as elegant and that is handcrafted with such artistic precision?

--Chase

· Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You've left off socks.
Poll here has a maximum of ten options, sir--we don't have room to be all-inclusive, unfortunately! ;)

Please, B's O V, feel free to post your statement-making socks here.

I'm sorry you can't vote for them.

Kind Regards,

Chase

· Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
I guess the answer is supposed to be clothing related, but to be honest I can't really think of anything that I wear for the purpose of making a statement of any kind beyond just looking nice, with the possible exception of my Seiko Mickey Mouse watch.

It was a gift from my then wife over 20 years ago and the first thing I noticed when I wore it was the reaction from women. Women of all ages seem to love it. Hardly a day goes by that I don't get at least a comment or two, and a smile, from total strangers, almost always female. It's been a great "ice breaker" over the years.

These positive reactions are only increasing as I get older. I get the feeling that women see it as a statement that I can be playful and not take myself, or life, too seriously.

So I guess I would have to say that I continue to wear this watch every day in order to generate those positive reactions from women.

Cruiser

· Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

· Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess the answer is supposed to be clothing related, but to be honest I can't really think of anything that I wear for the purpose of making a statement of any kind beyond just looking nice, with the possible exception of my Seiko Mickey Mouse watch.

It was a gift from my then wife over 20 years ago and the first thing I noticed when I wore it was the reaction from women. Women of all ages seem to love it. Hardly a day goes by that I don't get at least a comment or two, and a smile, from total strangers, almost always female. It's been a great "ice breaker" over the years.

These positive reactions are only increasing as I get older. I get the feeling that women see it as a statement that I can be playful and not take myself, or life, too seriously.

So I guess I would have to say that I continue to wear this watch every day in order to generate those positive reactions from women.

Cruiser
Watches aren't clothing-related? Don't tell that to The Earl of Ormonde! :eek:

--Chase

· Registered
35 Posts
If I want compliments, I'll let the suit do the talking, and let the tie take over if necessary. Believe it or not, I've in my possession and JAB tie, Italian made, and that elicits a few comments. Not too bad.

If I want to make a *statement*, I usually use my mouth.

· Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If I want to make a *statement*, I usually use my mouth.
Careful, Viniator3, or medwards will banish this thread to The Interchange. :icon_smile_wink:

Kind Regards,

Chase

· Registered
7,025 Posts
What I'd use to make a statement would be whatever . . .

. . . article of clothings was most distinctive (or loudest :icon_smile:).

As I have some very striking shirts, some fairly distinctive ties, and a modest number of handsome pairs of shoes, I couldn't think which single article of clothing that I would consistently use to "make a statement".

In winter, I have a navy/gold silk jacquard scarf, lined in navy cashmere - when I wear it, it definitely makes a statement.

· Registered
90 Posts
I'm w/Chase on eyewear. Although I don't have nearly the number of glasses, I've chosen mine thoughtfully, and they're fairly distinctive.

Also shoes. Brown RMW or green Fluevogs, they definitely have a "tone" of their own. I'm not sure of any statement they make as such, beyond expressing my desire to wear that particular pair.

· Aficianado
1,481 Posts
When I want to make a statement,I go with this look:

Double breasted navy blue blazer with mother of pearl buttons

Tan trousers

Antiqued brown bals

Pink/white herringbone shirt with contrast collar and cuffs

Solid red tie

No need for corrective eyewear yet,but the time is coming

· Registered
3,297 Posts
I get quite a few looks anytime I wear a pocket square.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.