Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a suit that has seen better days, and I wonder if it's about time I say goodbye to it.

The suit itself is nothing fancy. It's a Calvin Klein suit I got from Macy's for $300, but this is one of the suits I started my career with, and has been the workhorse in my wardrobe for almost 5 years now, so it has some sentimental value.
However, the wear and tear is really starting to show, and I had to take it to tailor quite a few times recently, making me wonder if it is really worth spending all that money on a 5 year old basic wool suit.

When you guys make the decision to either get rid of or donate your suit, what are some factors that you consider?

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
If you don't wear it anymore, either because you simply have better clothes, or it doesn't fit, or it's (relative to your other wardrobe pieces) worn out, then donate it. Particularly for a suit, especially if it was a suit you wore when "starting out", then donating it on the chance that it'll do the same for someone similarly early in life/career, is particularly fitting (hah, pun intended) in the holiday season (actually, anytime). Give it a chance to do good for someone else.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Great answers. I also will donate my stuff and sometimes put it up for sale, but if I don't sell it, then there is a place where they collect suits for interviews, things like that, run by a couple of attorneys and I just email them and ask when to drop it off.

But now that I don't go to court as often, I find myself wearing a suit twice a week. Many days I see clients and my clientele is such that I can wear jeans if I want and sometimes do in winter with nice shoes and a sweater. Or I might just wear a shirt and tie and no coat - I am a solo, no staff, no big waiting area. It works for me, and so now, I am thinking of donating a few suits because they are older and I don't have to have 12 suits. I could get by with 6 easily.

·
Registered
640 Posts
However, the wear and tear is really starting to show, and I had to take it to tailor quite a few times recently, making me wonder if it is really worth spending all that money on a 5 year old basic wool suit.
I wonder what kind of wear and tear you've had that is still repairable.

I haven't worn suits long enough to ruin one but recently I got rid of a pair of odd pants because the area around the butt cheek were wearing thin.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.