Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife had a wicked stomach virus/food poisoning last week. Friday night, after an 8 mile run, I was so tired, I slept from 9PM until 1PM the following afternoon. In between watching some football I napped a few times all the while having NO APPETITE. Went to bed at 9PM again, and woke up at 8:30 today. While my energy level is higher today than yesterday (though not nearly enough to leave the house), anything I eat goes right through me. My boss is a bit of a stickler and can be intimidating when calling out, on top of the fact that I'd rather not call in sick and fall behind myself. I'm afraid if I push myself I will make myself even more sick, and be forced to miss more time, so am considering taking the day off tomorrow. I have plenty of banked sick days I can use, as I try not to call out and our contract is generous with them (7 sick, 3 personal days per year)

What would you guys do in my position? When do you decide that staying home is best for everyone?

Miserably-

Rob:(

·
Connoisseur - Moderator
9,709 Posts
Are you contagious? How much will it throw your class off??

If you are contagious or if you are concerned that missing the day will really wreck things, go in.

I'd probably take one more day. It may be a few days before you are back to 100%.

Generally, if I'm not contagious and I can get through it, I go in. I'm in a small company though, and when someone misses, it usually affects everyone. Your situation is different.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know if I'm contageous, to be honest. The Dr diagnosed my wife with food poisoning last week, but if he was wrong, and its a virus, then I would be (hope my daughter is ok). I will prob stay home and go to the Dr tomorrow, and hopefully feel better sooner rather than later.

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
I called in sick when I felt too bad to effectively do my job. I can't recall ever staying home solely because I thought I might be contagious if I otherwise felt OK enough to work. I hope I never took any anything in and passed it around, but honestly I don't think I ever thought about that.

The interesting thing is that the older I got the less often I got sick. I didn't call in sick any the last five years that I worked and retired with over a year of unused sick time on the books.

Cruiser

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Let's se. It sounds as though you are reporting diarrhea, possibly vomiting, extreme fatigue. Hard to see how you can do your job as a teacher.

I would say stay home, and this is coming from someone who has more sick time banked than anyone at my place of employment (probably in history).

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
What would you guys do in my position? When do you decide that staying home is best for everyone?
Sorry you're not feeling well. :(

Considering that many illnesses are more contagious before symptoms appear, worrying that you might be contagious isn't necessarily a valid argument. The criteria I use is that I will stay home if one or more of the following are present:

• Fever of greater than 100.5
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Muscle aches that make it difficult to get out of bed, let alone stand up
  • Headache that makes it difficult to get out of bed, let alone stand up
Fortunately, I haven't thrown up since June of 1994. And that was only the third time ever.

Sometimes I'm caught up at work and if I went in I wouldn't have much to do anyway. My standards drop slightly for taking a sick day, but I still need to actually be sick.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
If you are ill, call off. When I retired from the civil service several years back, I had just over 10 months of accumulated sick leave drop off the books. Throughout my career, there had been a number of days I reported for work ill and accomplished very little, as a result. All that accumulated sick leave did nobody any good...what a dummy I was! If you are still feeling ill, take the day off. Hope you are feeling better soon! ;)

·
Registered
Tie
19,963 Posts
My wife had a wicked stomach virus/food poisoning last week. Friday night, after an 8 mile run, I was so tired, I slept from 9PM until 1PM the following afternoon. In between watching some football I napped a few times all the while having NO APPETITE. Went to bed at 9PM again, and woke up at 8:30 today. While my energy level is higher today than yesterday (though not nearly enough to leave the house), anything I eat goes right through me. My boss is a bit of a stickler and can be intimidating when calling out, on top of the fact that I'd rather not call in sick and fall behind myself. I'm afraid if I push myself I will make myself even more sick, and be forced to miss more time, so am considering taking the day off tomorrow. I have plenty of banked sick days I can use, as I try not to call out and our contract is generous with them (7 sick, 3 personal days per year)

Miserably-

Rob:(
Feel Better Rob.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys...when I got up this morning I nearly fell into the toilet...dizziness. So I plopped back in to bed and stayed there until 10AM. I feel a bit better, but am off to my dr at 3, and as I supposed, got crap from my boss (who despite a citywide system for sick leave, "asks" us to call her every morning at 5:30 if we're not coming in. I also had to hear it how one of my scheduled mOnday programs didn't run smoothly because I wasn't there. Oh well.

·
Connoisseur - Moderator
9,709 Posts
Thanks guys...when I got up this morning I nearly fell into the toilet...dizziness. So I plopped back in to bed and stayed there until 10AM. I feel a bit better, but am off to my dr at 3, and as I supposed, got crap from my boss (who despite a citywide system for sick leave, "asks" us to call her every morning at 5:30 if we're not coming in. I also had to hear it how one of my scheduled mOnday programs didn't run smoothly because I wasn't there. Oh well.
Maybe you just need to vomit up a load on the boss's desk. She sounds really nasty and insensitive.

·
Registered
915 Posts
I stay home if:

- My illness costs me more than 50% of my normal sleep
- I have any somewhat serious G.I. issues (I have a bit of a commute, I don't want to get stuck)

I can usually still work from home, unless I'm drowsy, in which case I try to get as much sleep as possible.

A bad headache is about the only thing that can keep me from going to work, or working from home. I just can't concentrate with a pounding head.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
You didn't lose it did you? I had over a year's worth when I retired from Federal Civil Service and it was tacked on to my years of service for retirement purposes.

Cruiser
Good point! While they don't pay the employee for unused sick leave hours, they are tacked on to one's years of service for retirement purposes! It dosen't amount to much but, it's something!

·
Registered
Tie
19,963 Posts
maybe you need to drink some hot tea.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Rob, I hope you're feeling better now.

I think it's worth pointing out that since you have a boss who seems to be entirely capable of arbitrarily retaliating against you for staying home when you're sick, it's a good thing you have a union contract that provides you with rights and protects you against arbitrary treatment, and a union prepared to stand behind you if necessary.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I must say I'm surprised at the US system for sick leave. I work as a lecturer in a further education college in the UK. If I was unfourtunate enough to be sick I would continue to draw my full salary for six months, it would then be reduced to half pay for a further six months and my boss wouldn't dare hassle me at home, in fact the college is forbidden to phone me whils't I'm on sick leave.
There is no system of accrued sick days. I'm sure that private industry is not so generous, but certainly in the public sector, the above is pretty much par for the course.

·
Registered
915 Posts
I must say I'm surprised at the US system for sick leave.
It depends on the company, but there is something called the family medical leave act, where you get a portion of your paycheck for something like six months, and you can return with full pay - or you can take up to one or two years off, and the company has to give you a job back, but it can be another position.

It doesn't cover all employers, but I think it's a fair system.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.