Men's Clothing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a newish member of the forum and just started to pay attention to my garb in the last year and a half.

I attribute this extended adolescent period to the years of heavy boozing and dedication to the Life Dissolute.

I came (slowly) to the conclusions that a) I needed to dress my age (43) and b) I didn't sober up to look like a bum.

I'm sure scads of members were well-togged from the cradle, but for those of you who had an awakening, when did it begin to pay off, and how?

Examples:

I was examining some shirts at the Land's End Ghetto section of a local Sears and a woman started to ask me a question, thinking I worked there. She stopped abruptly and said, "No, you don't work here, you dress too well."

I stopped in at the offices of a local weekly paper to meet Ye Editor and convince her they needed my services, if not full-time, then at least as a fly-fishing stringer. In houndstooth jacket, blue BB straight collar, repp tie, and grey trousers I felt confident enough to pitch the idea; spoke easily; got the gig. I can't attribute it all to the clothes, but it sure helped me feel like a pro again (after a lengthy hiatus from the newspaper business).

Ladies. They like it. Considering I have a face like a stop sign (large and red) and grey hair that defies combing, this was quite the epiphany.

Thanks,

Patrick

PS: If you're in the NYC area come up to NW Conn. and fish the Housatonic. The new natural flow regulations have made for fantastic action, and the caddis are hatching.

``What do ties matter, Jeeves, at a time like this? Do you realise that Mr Little's domestic happiness is hanging in the scale?''

``There is no time, sir, at which ties do not matter.''

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.