Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
It depends on the dress code where you work but I would usually reserve desert boots for casual Fridays.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
^^LOL.
I used to work...did so for 42 years and then decided I was tired and wanted to rest. I never once wore a pair of desert boots to work during those sanguine years of "wine and roses." However, I did wear them casually when I was off duty and relaxing. Since retiring (and becoming a festering sore on the a** cheek of society) I wear my desert boots any time I want! ;)

Wear your casual shoes in casual situations...work is not a casual situation!

·
Registered
777 Posts
"Wear your casual shoes in casual situations...work is not a casual situation!"

Oh how we all wish this still held true. My work encourages you to dress down and is not so keen on you "dressing up."

I would guess this holds true for most workplaces these days.
For whatever else I may think of my profession, at least dressing up is still the norm.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
For whatever else I may think of my profession, at least dressing up is still the norm.
Well, it was just a curious question, nothing more. Having said that, I work for an extremely large aerospace company. Anything I wear to work is most often overdressed (sometime embarrassed to see what my VPs wear when in meetings with them).

·
Registered
13,646 Posts
Short of wearing a suit, I think desert boots can be worn with just about anything.

As to appropriate for work, I defer to the above statements; it depends on your companies dress code.
I agree with this but would add - as similar to a suit, I don't think desert boots work with true, classic dress trousers. Hence, if you wore true dress trousers with a sport coat, I'd pass on the desert boots. But for pretty much any other type of pants - cords, twills, chinos, moleskin, etc., - desert boots work fine.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I agree with this but would add - as similar to a suit, I don't think desert boots work with true, classic dress trousers. Hence, if you wore true dress trousers with a sport coat, I'd pass on the desert boots. But for pretty much any other type of pants - cords, twills, chinos, moleskin, etc., - desert boots work fine.
"Desert" boots with a winter fabric like cords or moleskin?

·
Registered
13,646 Posts
Hi, are you implying that desert boots - owing to their "desert" origins are only a summer boot?

It's a fair point, but I've never thought of them that way as the not-smooth suede (that most have) and rough textured gum sole - and, also, that they are a boot - have always made them a year-round item for me, in part, because the texture of the boot holds its own with the heavier texture of cords and moleskins.

In fact, the only time I don't wear them is in very hot weather as I don't want boots then at all and usually wear shoes made of lighter / more breathable material than suede then.

That said, your trad origin argument is a fair one - just not my approach.

Interestingly, J.Crew put out a shearling-lined desert boot a few years ago which I love wearing on cold Northeast winter days when I'm going to be outside a lot.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Hi, are you implying that desert boots - owing to their "desert" origins are only a summer boot?

It's a fair point, but I've never thought of them that way as the not-smooth suede (that most have) and rough textured gum sole - and, also, that they are a boot - have always made them a year-round item for me, in part, because the texture of the boot holds its own with the heavier texture of cords and moleskins.

In fact, the only time I don't wear them is in very hot weather as I don't want boots then at all and usually wear shoes made of lighter / more breathable material than suede then.

Interestingly, J.Crew put out a shearling-lined desert boot a few years ago which I love wearing on cold Northeast winter days when I'm going to be outside a lot.
I'll wear chukkas any time of the year, but the classic desert boot look I stick to spring and summer. But that's just me. I agree the more casual nature of the desert boot goes with any trousers short of dress trousers.

·
Registered
13,646 Posts
I'll wear chukkas any time of the year, but the classic desert boot look I stick to spring and summer. But that's just me. I agree the more casual nature of the desert boot goes with any trousers short of dress trousers.
I'll fully admit that I'm on weak debating ground arguing that a "desert" boot should be worn in the winter, but what the heck, I've made much bigger mistakes than this in my life.

·
Registered
14,999 Posts

True desert boots, at least as my understanding goes, are unlined so therefore not ideal for cold climates. Also, crepe soles don't do well on ice.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
I have been in some freakin' cold deserts! (looking at you, Badain Jaran!).

As to the topic, my view is that one must draw a fine line between chukkas categorically (can be suitable for casual office wear) and desert boots in particular (generally too unstructured/"soft" for anything other than strictly casual wear).

DH

·
Registered
87 Posts
At my office like so many others anything but a foam/rubber/plastic sneaker is at least kind of dressed up.
I like casual chukkas/desert boots. I'm currently looking for a casual crepe or rubber soled desert boot that's just slightly more sleek than Clarks. I just dislike how spatulated Clarks look.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Very much depends on the environment you're in. I've worn the brown suede and leather ones in the past to the office with khakis, a button down, and a blazer or sportcoat and no one looked at me oddly for it. At another workplace I got criticized for it one time, from a guy that wore black plastic dress shoes from Wal-Mart and too small dress shirts for his beer gut no less. People are weird. If you have any doubts, leave the desert boots at home.

·
Registered
13,646 Posts
At my office like so many others anything but a foam/rubber/plastic sneaker is at least kind of dressed up.
I like casual chukkas/desert boots. I'm currently looking for a casual crepe or rubber soled desert boot that's just slightly more sleek than Clarks. I just dislike how spatulated Clarks look.
Are these less "spatulated" (had to look that one up)? I like the look of these but the European sizing doesn't work for me as I'm a true 11.5.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.