Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Banned
16,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In another thread, someone asked what people wore under their trousers for winter and went mostly unanswered. I was sort of interested too. So...

What do you wear? I've used long johns, but as most of my trousers are unlined, it makes it harder to pull them up when sitting down (preserve the creases) and generally pulls against the wool fabric when moving around. Since I use a scooter, I'm especially concerned about this as I can't really do that when stopping and going at a light. I've considered those polypropylene undergarments made for soldiers in cold weather conditions because the fabric is a bit slicker, but I don't know if it would make much a difference. Any solutions for the men who wear unlined trous? Do I just have to get them lined? :(

· Registered
2,556 Posts
Jovan, I wear undersilk. Its light enough to not be a burden when you're inside (sweatwise) and it really keeps you warm in the coldest pf biting January winds.

· Registered
507 Posts
When it's cold, I have a rotation of cotton long johns. (they are getting hard to find.. nearly all are synthetics anymore)

Due to my scouting and skiing experiences, I also have polypropylene long johns for more extreme cold.

· Registered
507 Posts
It depends on what you want to wear. If I was going to use an overcoat over a sportcoat/blazer with a scarf, then no. With long johns, I can manage with just a tweed over a sweater to about the high 20s.

Granted the winters are not particularly long or bitter down here, but we do see teens from time to time.

· Registered
1,193 Posts
As mentioned above, really cold days in my area are few and far between. However, when I traveled to all corners of the world my under garments were the same as today; tighty-whities. In the northern climes I would add a long overcoat when outside.

If I was planning to be outside in sub-teen weather for an extended period of time I could dig out an old pair of military issued cotton longjohns.

· Registered
1,551 Posts
I have a pair of the Underarmor cold gear pants that are the tight fitting synthetic. I used them in college playing baseball and skiing and during cold weather under my normal pants. They are great with a wind breaking layer like chinos, wool, or jeans; just any pants will make them great. While they work quite well they do get a little uncomfortable to wear all day. Its hard to explain but its not a great feeling to have them on for 8 or 10 hours but I have dont it without much trouble. Also there are some very nice silk long johns that I have been looking into that seems to be thin, breathable, and all day comfortable.

· Registered
93 Posts
under your pants

I was in a big city last winter where the weather was in the 20-30 FH. Because I live in Texas, this was realllly cold to me. I wore my WinterSilk long underwear and it felt great walking the downtown streets.

But, when I went inside, I became warm. It became uncomfortable. I would have rather been a tad chilly walking than going through that again. At the end of the day, unless you are doing some outdoor activity (skiing, camping, hiking, etc), I can't see the need for these. You will generally be inside more than out.

· Registered
36 Posts
You've never visited downtown Chicago in the winter :icon_smile_wink:

Seems like the last few winters we've had sub-zero cold spells for up to a week at a time and wearing an extra layer on your legs is literally life-saving, especially with the number of people who rely on public transportation and spend 10+ minutes waiting for the bus/el/Metra. It's not a big deal as everyone else is bundled up, too, but the trick is to wear just enough that you're not roasting once you get to your office. Silk or synthetic as a base layer is the way to go as any outdoorsy person knows, cotton kills. I'll leave the cotton longjohns for the Waltons.

At the end of the day, unless you are doing some outdoor activity (skiing, camping, hiking, etc), I can't see the need for these. You will generally be inside more than out.

· Banned
16,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

· Banned
16,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
In winter, aren't cordovan balmorals the go-to? :p

· Registered
2,729 Posts
You've never visited downtown Chicago in the winter :icon_smile_wink:

Seems like the last few winters we've had sub-zero cold spells for up to a week at a time and wearing an extra layer on your legs is literally life-saving, especially with the number of people who rely on public transportation and spend 10+ minutes waiting for the bus/el/Metra. It's not a big deal as everyone else is bundled up, too, but the trick is to wear just enough that you're not roasting once you get to your office. Silk or synthetic as a base layer is the way to go as any outdoorsy person knows, cotton kills. I'll leave the cotton longjohns for the Waltons.
Heavy flannel trousers are the thing for Chicago winters. If I'm wearing a lighter worsted then wool/silk longies.

· Registered
1,029 Posts
The overcoat is the key. I don't want to wear long johns inside, because I overheat easily. If you have a long, warm overcoat, then you should be fine with 110s in a Chicago winter.

Of course, I might just be a bit unhinged, since I had a great time on a cross country ski trip, sleeping outside on the same morning that the record -60F air temp was recorded nearby.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.