Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Honored Professor | Moderator, All Forums
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As evidenced by another thread on this Forum, many members have benefited from good sartorial advice from others. But what of the converse? Have you ever received really BAD fashion advice? Did you take it?

·
Registered
907 Posts
I think it has to be...

"How to button a 3B SB jacket:
Only the middle button when feeling relaxed;
Two top buttons in a professional setting;
All three buttons in a formal / official setting." :eek:

What is this? Green, amber and red alert?:crazy:

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
1. No OCBDs with suits.
2. No bluchers with suits.
:icon_smile_big:

"You should wear tight pants," from an indie culture girl.

Every time my roommate tries to tell me to dress differently (i.e. like everyone else). I really don't like the patronising way he tells me I'll get it when I'm older... he's only two years older than me. :rolleyes: I have never once told him how to dress even though I wouldn't do what he does myself. I expect as much courtesy in return, ya know? Telling me I won't be respected in a bar for wearing a suit or to take off my coat because I'll "stand out" (do I really give two damns?) is not the way to engender feelings of friendship. I'm getting a little tired of him in general, to be frank, and need to have a talk with him soon.

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
Let me guess: The sleeves came down over your thumbs and the collar was trying to escape from your neck?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Being asked to sacrifice comfort and fit to make a sale.

Shoes I was persuaded to buy that pinched, and pants with a rise that when worn comfortably, the crotch is midway to my knees, or if worn "properly" comes to my ribcage.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
"it fits you great"
I was once trying on a RTW Eton shirt, the fabric was beautiful but the fit was boxy to say the least. It was cut so big in the chest and shoulders, it was creating big bags of fabric underneath my armpits.

I looked in the mirror and naturally the salesperson "it fits you great" to which I responded, it's way too big in the shoulders.

His response: "shirts don't have shoulders" :crazy:

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
In the early 1970's I was a young man laboring in the vineyard of futility. My boss was a much faded ladies man who had just discovered "The Swinging '70's." He decided I needed sartorial advice to help win the affection of the fairer sex. And who could be a better role model than he could?

He habitually dressed in burgundy double-knit polyester pants, matching shirt, a broad fake patent leather belt with matching loafers, and a polyester burgundy and white tie. He suggested I get out of my navy blue striped suits and emulate his accomplishments!

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.