Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, we are seemingly becoming more and more urbanized. We don't walk around as much, and we surely don't labor as much. Those who live in the country and do farm work wear sneakers, or, sometimes cowboy boots. So, what purpose do double soled shoes have these days? When they served a purpose, they were at least useful, but now, they are just an ugly eye sore.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
It sounds like the first question should be: Do you think double-sole shoes are ugly. Then the second question, which you did ask, is: What's the point of wearing them since their ugliness serves no modern function.

But I'm not sure I agree with you on the first question. Why do you think they are ugly?

·
Registered
598 Posts
I wear Florsheim Kenmoors quite a bit with their big double soles. They are incredibly comfortable and there is one particular pair that I've trounced around in over Europe and much of the USA in.

They are great for long hikes through airports!

·
Registered
234 Posts
I suppose the OP Is not much of a fan for the Dinkalker Triple or the JM Weson Chasse either ...

The double sole also serves to insulate from cooler ground temperatures, whilst still "breathing", something a rubber sole does not.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I suppose the OP Is not much of a fan for the Dinkalker Triple or the JM Weson Chasse either ...

The double sole also serves to insulate from cooler ground temperatures, whilst still "breathing", something a rubber sole does not.
No, I don't care for such clunky, clang-y monstrosities. I have only disdain for the pair of Burwoods, mine, I stare at across the room.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
The simple answer...all day comfort for those of us who have a lot of walking to do or who simply choose to do a lot of walking.

PS: Double soled shoes are not ugly...they are manly! ;)

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
No, I don't care for such clunky, clang-y monstrosities. I have only disdain for the pair of Burwoods, mine, I stare at across the room.
I guess you missed my earlier post. What is it about double sole shoes that you find ugly?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Well, potentially on the plus side, they do give the wearer about maybe 1/3 an inch of extra height.

·
Registered
561 Posts
What's the point of wearing this or that?

Since when in modern times did what we wear and buy, have to have a point to it ?

Stop making sense, I will report you.

We wear what we like, few people need a leather jacket, even in the country, but many of us wear them anway.
We don't need V8 engines in cars, but when they are affordable, ah, the joy!

A pair of double leather soled Burwoods can last for years, feel great to wear and still look good to those who buy them, that's a point.

Another point, an excuse to do do more walking, so forget the V8 just for the moment.

And another point, Scoundrels sometimes buy them, got to be worth ten points.

I'm not looking for any more points, it's all so, , , pointless.
Wear what you like, there is a point to that.

F.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
I like double-soled shoes. And I doubt looking at them while on my feet you could tell... my Park Ave heels are only about 1/8" shorter than my Hillcrest heels.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Shamelessly deep linked to

Single Sole:

Double Sole:

Edit: In this picture the double sole consists of two comparatively thin soles, the result isn't much clunkier than the single sole construction. That changes when thicker soles are used, as it is often the case.

Triple Sole:

·
Registered
907 Posts
Since when in modern times did what we wear and buy, have to have a point to it ?

Stop making sense, I will report you.

We wear what we like, few people need a leather jacket, even in the country, but many of us wear them anway.
We don't need V8 engines in cars, but when they are affordable, ah, the joy!

A pair of double leather soled Burwoods can last for years, feel great to wear and still look good to those who buy them, that's a point.

Another point, an excuse to do do more walking, so forget the V8 just for the moment.

And another point, Scoundrels sometimes buy them, got to be worth ten points.

I'm not looking for any more points, it's all so, , , pointless.
Wear what you like, there is a point to that.

F.
+1. Well said.

·
Registered
787 Posts

this is a double soled shoe - it has an extra layer of leather making or a double layer of leather making it more comfortable to walk when you are walking on an uneven surface! great shoe for wearing jeans, chino's or and other casual trousers IMO!:aportnoy:

this is a single soled more citifide wing tip derby, now i am in my early 30's so if these shoes are for old folks then well....

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.