Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
130 Posts
Should be darker than French, or should be darker than it is coming up on your color chart? I also always imagine Royal Blue being a bit deeper and closer to purple than it is in this picture.

Also, what is O.G. blue? The Crips official color?

· Registered
784 Posts
It depends on what that's a color chart referring to.

In looking at charts from oil paint manufacturers, as an example, cerulean blue from one guy is different from that from another.

I've seen uniforms made from "French Blue" fabric and it's much darker than the above sample.

· Vendor
1,739 Posts
The words for colors are among the least precise words in the English language. All colors -with the exception of White and Black- come in a broad range of shades. ( Even white and black have ranges, but not as broad as the other colors. ) Unless you are dealing with individuals who are color blind most people will agree that a color in in a color family- for example, blue. But people will and picture in their mind's eye different shades when you say "light blue". To me French Blue is flatter and to the grey side of the spectrum than Royal Blue, which is richer and to the red side of the spectrum.
Paul Winston
Winston Tailors
www.chipp2.com

· Registered
7,502 Posts
Like Mitchell said it depends what colour charts are intended for "computer screen" royal blue is far lighter than textile royal blue for example.
Royal blue is only a shade or two lighter than Navy.

French blue is not something I've ever heard of so I can't possibly comment.

· Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The words for colors are among the least precise words in the English language. All colors -with the exception of White and Black- come in a broad range of shades. ( Even white and black have ranges, but not as broad as the other colors. ) Unless you are dealing with individuals who are color blind most people will agree that a color in in a color family- for example, blue. But people will and picture in their mind's eye different shades when you say "light blue". To me French Blue is flatter and to the grey side of the spectrum than Royal Blue, which is richer and to the red side of the spectrum.
Paul Winston
Winston Tailors
www.chipp2.com
I had the words "grey" and "flat" in my original post but omitted them as I didn't want to prejudice any responses. Thank you for confirming my own view precisely!

· Registered
2,219 Posts
Royal blue is deeper and brighter than French blue ....

I have run across these colors primarily in solid color shirt selection. The best description I have read on this thread is from P. Winston. Fabric colors, to my knowledge, have no definite official colors, such as printer's colors which can be defined. But the human eye is an analog device and color can be perceived differently by various people.

· Registered
1,240 Posts
I suppose it goes without saying that various monitors display colors differently. On my monitor I don't see the detail in some of the dark pictures that are posted here - details that can be seen by others here.

I believe that the perception of a color can be a bit different by placing a different color adjacent to it. Someone who knows more about this than I do might wish to comment.

As to photos posted here, some are very easy to read while some are not much more than a large blur - or a small blur. Patrick's photos come to mind as being very good and there are a number of others.

I wonder if someone who is skilled at taking photos of clothing might want to write a short tutorial if Andy would post it as a sticky. Andy, what do you think?

· Registered
5,152 Posts
It's rare, but check universtity and city librarys for G.K. Chesterton's delightfull book THE COLOURED LAND. He has a watercolor of 'prussian blue meets royal and french.
It is a sad prescient observation on future events, and accurate in colour tones for Victorian times.

· Registered
5,852 Posts
I've always thought of "French blue" as what Thurston's and H&K call "Saxe blue," after the 18th-century French field marshal of that name:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maurice_de_Saxe

https://www.albertthurston.com/categoryfast2.cfm?catid=4

https://www.classicwardrobe.co.uk/P...Categories/Hilditch-and-Key/Categories/Plains

To my eye, Saxe blue usually has a more powdery tone, whereas royal blue is darker, deeper, and more of a jewel tone--take a look at the braces that Thurston calls "royal blue."

All very subjective, of course, but FWIW.

In WWI, the French military adopted a uniform in a powdery blue-gray shade that they termed horizon bleu, called that in part, I suppose, because it was meant as a kind of camouflage to help French soldiers avoid being silhouetted against the horizon, as they had been in the dark-blue coats and red trousers that most of them had worn into action when the war began. The US Navy term "haze gray" for the color of ship paint suggests something similar.

· Registered
1,415 Posts
Should be darker than French, or should be darker than it is coming up on your color chart? I also always imagine Royal Blue being a bit deeper and closer to purple than it is in this picture.

Also, what is O.G. blue? The Crips official color?
Any Royal should be darker than and French is what I was trying to say. Again- I don't agree that either in that chart align with what I see as typical for those two.

· Registered
1,240 Posts
People who come up with names for the color of automobiles and many other items have a lot of descriptions for the color (or non-color if you prefer) black and Paul even states that there is a range for black although smaller than other colors.

It seems to me that something is either black or it is not black, gray being the most likely. Anyone care to de-confuse me?

· Registered
5,852 Posts
People who come up with names for the color of automobiles and many other items have a lot of descriptions for the color (or non-color if you prefer) black and Paul even states that there is a range for black although smaller than other colors.

It seems to me that something is either black or it is not black, gray being the most likely. Anyone care to de-confuse me?
I once owned a car whose color, according to the brochure that the dealer supplied, was "Antelope Fire Mist."

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.