Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Full windsor for me.

Can someone please explain the difference between half windsor and four-in-hand?

I think in the UK, the half windsor is just a smaller version than the full windsor, in that the triangular shape is smaller. In the US, it appears that the half windsor is assymetrical?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Full windsor for me.

Can someone please explain the difference between half windsor and four-in-hand?

I think in the UK, the half windsor is just a smaller version than the full windsor, in that the triangular shape is smaller. In the US, it appears that the half windsor is assymetrical?
My half-windsor is symmetrical. The picture given in this thread doesn't look anything like any half-windsor I have seen.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Half windsor for me. My four in hand looks nothing like in the photo.Everytime I try to tie the four in hand I always wind up with a little bit of the skinny end hanging out the right side right below my knot.
Cheerio, Cosmo:drunken_smilie:

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
the one that suits the tie's fabric and the shirt's collar.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The half-windsor has one less step in the tying. It is in between the four in hand and full windsor in terms of size and being symmetric.

For my silk ties, I like a full Windsor but I tie it much smaller than shown, which I feel looks neater. I like the symmetric knot but I keep the dimple slightly off to one side (this is how my dad taught me to tie a tie, it seems most folks put the dimple right in the middle). For knit ties, I like the more casual four-in-hand.

I feel tie knots are one of those personal things where you really shouldn't worry about rules and just tie it in such a way that suits you for that day and that outfit.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
All of my tie knots look good, in that they are all ....

dimpled appropriately and have a nice symmetrical shape. You have to tie a variety of knots to match the tie width and material thickness. It is rediculous to say I always tie a certain knot unless yor ties are all the same. Many of my ties are Robert Talbott or Duchamp; and you would have a knot as big as a hangman's if you attempted a half or full Windsor. Know how to tie, expertly, the FIH, Windsor, half Windsor, and Shelby/Pratt, then match the knot to the tie.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.