Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another AAAC'er posted in a different thread that he had worn a pair of shoes for 20 years.

This is amazing to me. I've worn a pair of black cap toes for 5 years. That's the longest I've worn a pair of shoes. Of course, these were the first truly high-quality pair of shoes that I bought (although based on my reading of the C&J deconstruction thread on this forum, I'm sure many here would have a different opinion ;)).

So just curious - what's the max number of years that you've worn a pair of shoes. Factor a usage of 2 wearings = 1 week.

If you've been able to wear a pair of shoes for more than 10 years, what do you attribute this to? e.g. - conditioning, shoe trees, minimal pronation/supination, proper soles, good weather (low moisture), etc.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
I probably have shoes older than you are! Of course, I don't wear any of them all that much, and the few that get a lot of wear go four to five years or so. I just threw out a treasured pair of russet penny loafers I know I've used for at least 20 years, measured by high school reunions.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
Going on 20 years for my 3 pairs of BrooksEnglish (Church's) captoes--one quarter-brogue each in black and cordo-brown, one pair of half-brogues in brown.

I had Randy at Cobblestone recraft the quarter-brogues last year. Sadly, the right shoe of the black pair is starting to show a small crack or split in the upper where the creasing is, but oddly, at right angles to the creasing. I suspect that's going to be fatal once it lengthens and deepens a bit more.

Still, as I got 20 years out of the shoes, I can hardly complain.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Got a pair of Sebago cordovan beef roll pennies when I was 17 and they finally gave up the ghost when I was ~34, several soles later. Wore them heavily throughout college.

Have a pair of AE's now that are around 9 years old. About to be refurbed.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
My AE Leeds in #8 shell cordovan are closing in on 26 years in my shoe rotation. To date, they have been reheeled countless times, resoled twice and totally re-crafted by AE once and they are presently showing no signs of wearing out. I also had a pair of Redwing field boots that were gifted to me when I was in my first year of college and took me on more than a few adventures before finally giving up the ghost after 31 years of hard (outdoor) use!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Going on 20 years for my 3 pairs of BrooksEnglish (Church's) captoes--one quarter-brogue each in black and cordo-brown, one pair of half-brogues in brown.

I had Randy at Cobblestone recraft the quarter-brogues last year. Sadly, the right shoe of the black pair is starting to show a small crack or split in the upper where the creasing is, but oddly, at right angles to the creasing. I suspect that's going to be fatal once it lengthens and deepens a bit more.

Still, as I got 20 years out of the shoes, I can hardly complain.
Any special care you are giving them to last so long? Do you really wear them often?

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
24 years,

and still going strong! A pair of Church's hand-grade Cape Buck brogues. They may well outlast me. :eek:

They no longer get worn that frequently, as they are slightly smaller than my current shoe size. But they still get along fine with thin socks when the mood moves me.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
Any special care you are giving them to last so long? Do you really wear them often?
The secret to the long wear is that I had the shoes encased in Lucite years ago, while they were still new. This also helps a lot when it rains.

No, but seriously: Shoe trees, Meltonian cream, and rubber heel and toe caps to prevent rapid grinding down of those high-wear areas.

I've had the shoes most of my working life. I don't keep a log of shoe wearings, but I'd guess dozens of wearings per year on average.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have a pair of black wingtip Florsheim Imperials that are now 14 years old and a pair of Park Avenue's that went 13 before needing to be refurbished.

The Imperials have a thin rubber inset in the outer sole over the ball of the foot that has helped them take the pounding over the years. The Park Avenues are just a very high quality shoe. I meticulously polish and tree all of my shoes so that certainly helps along with regular rotation. I have never worn either of these pairs two days in a row so that has helped keep them fresh as well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Shoe trees, rotation, polishing

I have several pairs that go more than 10 years: Magli, Santoni, Cole-Haan, Nordstrom. I end up discarding them more because they have been around so long than because they are not usable any more.

In my opinion good shoe trees, adequate rotation and proper care (cleaning and polishing) will ensure long service.

Of course it also depends on how many shoes you own and how often you wear them.

I have never resoled my shoes, but I replace heels as required and in some cases I have a thin rubber (over)sole applied on worn-out soles which works remarkably well for me.

One should also consider where you live: if you expose shoes to rain and snow for a few months a year that it will be more taxing than if you live in a dry place like California.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Just today I finally got rid of a pair of Dr. Martens that I had for 11 years. For the last 4 or 5 years I wore them at least 4 days a week. I just kept them polished as best as I could. No trees, but I am sure that had I used them they would not have cracked, which they did in the last 5 months of their life. Not much to look at, but they wore like iron. Bought a brand new pair this afternoon to replace the old ones.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
My oldest shoe currently is a pair of calfskin alden (plain toe blucher) that I got when I started grad school. 5+ years, one local heel replacement and I still wear it once a week. They are due for a recraft soon. I did not know about rotating shoes back then, and I wore them very heavily for the first 3 years or so. I would not have bothered with shoe trees either if the salesman who sold me these shipped the trees with the shoes. The uppers take an excellent shine even today and are in good shape considering what they have been through. Alden makes excellent shoes.

·
Registered
294 Posts
pair of churchs bought by my parents as a school leaving present in 1987. still wearing them - oxblood colour! always in trees and sent back to Churchs for soling! now on the 5th sole and going strong...

Pair of black brogues from New and Lingwood - bought in 1988! worn at least twice a week! similar treatment to above.

shoes should be able to last 25 years, comfortably (if not longer) provided you store and clean them appropriately...

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.