Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Winters average -18'C here, and lots of snow.

Are there overcoats that "resemble" a suit jacket? Especially the collar? Is a decent mix of the following too much to ask: Formalwear, warm, wearable in the snow, thin or not too bulky.

as well do you guys wear your suits in the winter underneath?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Winters in Toronto are much like the Notre Dame winters I faced in South Bend, Indiana. There are different coats for different purposes.

In a car, if you like, a driving coat isn't bad. Keeps away the cold, and doesn't get all bunched up while you're doing the commute.
I favored a peacoat when I was dressed down (blazer, sweater, or even jeans), or a general winter coat if I was shoveling snow.
For suits, I owned a longer overcoat (in black), that can go either way, be it a suit or formalwear, and very closely resembled the collars on my suit jackets.

In general, any lined wool will keep out the wind and the water from the snow, and don't end up too heavy. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Winters in Toronto are much like the Notre Dame winters I faced in South Bend, Indiana. There are different coats for different purposes.

In a car, if you like, a driving coat isn't bad. Keeps away the cold, and doesn't get all bunched up while you're doing the commute.
I favored a peacoat when I was dressed down (blazer, sweater, or even jeans), or a general winter coat if I was shoveling snow.
For suits, I owned a longer overcoat (in black), that can go either way, be it a suit or formalwear, and very closely resembled the collars on my suit jackets.

In general, any lined wool will keep out the wind and the water from the snow, and don't end up too heavy. Hope this helps!
Are you, per chance, a fellow Domer?

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Winters average -18'C here, and lots of snow.

Are there overcoats that "resemble" a suit jacket? Especially the collar? Is a decent mix of the following too much to ask: Formalwear, warm, wearable in the snow, thin or not too bulky.

as well do you guys wear your suits in the winter underneath?
There are a lot of coats like that available in the city. I'm not sure what price range you are thinking of, but look around the various department stores (The Bay always has a good stock of these ranging from $250-$1000 and beyond), menswear retailers (Tip Top for cheaper stuff ($150-$300) which can look good for 1-2 winters), and if you can afford it some specialty stores (Bloor Street has some of these places like Stollery's). You should have no problem finding a coat that meets your requirements. I like grey or charcoal wool/cashmere winter coats the best because they work well with any colour of pants/scarves/hats.

I do not wear a suit coat underneath my winter coat because it's kind of difficult (and annoying) for me to put a coat on over top of another coat. If you wear a scarf and hat, you should be plenty warm anyway.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
Over a good many years, my favored overcoat (for wear with suits) was an HSM offering in a charcoal, herringbone weave. Solid construction, very businesslike appearance, and, with a wool scarf/muffler draped around the throat, quite warm and comfy to wear during those Chicago winters, walking from the train station to the office. ;)

·
Registered
249 Posts
A simple Chesterfield seems to go with everything and is very warm. Also, there is a bit of a trend towards shorter overcoats in the UK (see the latest Charles Tyrwitt catalogue for example) which go with less formal clothes even better.

For sheer style however, something double-breasted and slightly fitted looks great. Epaulettes and gun-flap optional!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Over a good many years, my favored overcoat (for wear with suits) was an HSM offering in a charcoal, herringbone weave. Solid construction, very businesslike appearance, and, with a wool scarf/muffler draped around the throat, quite warm and comfy to wear during those Chicago winters, walking from the train station to the office. ;)
What is HSM? A google search only seems to yield High School Musical. "HSM overcoat" produces links to styleforum and askandy, of course.

·
Registered
207 Posts
What is HSM? A google search only seems to yield High School Musical. "HSM overcoat" produces links to styleforum and askandy, of course.
Hart Schaffner Marx. I believe they are based out of Chicago. They are the parent to Hickey Freeman I believe. You can typically find their suits/coats at Macy's, Nordstrom's, and a variety of internet stores. As I understand it, they are a great mid-level quality piece when it comes to overcoats. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Hart Schaffner Marx. I believe they are based out of Chicago. They are the parent to Hickey Freeman I believe. You can typically find their suits/coats at Macy's, Nordstrom's, and a variety of internet stores. As I understand it, they are a great mid-level quality piece when it comes to overcoats. I hope this helps.
I saw many many HSM overcoats a week ago at the local Nordstrom Rack. Very nice ones, too!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I recently bought a very nice chesterfield from this store called "labels 4 less" on the south side of bloor street, just west of bay.. right across from the harry rosen flagship.. it was regular $2200, and it was marked down to $500, but it is gorgous!! they had some other overcoats there as well..definitely worth looking at if you're downtown

·
Registered
124 Posts
I picked up an S Cohen Comfort overcoat today at Nordstrom Rack for $200. That's about all I can afford at the moment. It wasn't as heavy as I'd like, but I've got 30 days to try it out...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.