Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's too bad that it had to end this way, with a whimper instead of a bang.

I'll miss the sense of self-assured defiance, the gumption, the cultural rejection of European fatalism and resignation. Even when that eugenicist Wilson was cynically engineering the financial system that brought us to this ruin and launching the USA into an unnecessary foreign war, or when FDR was destroying the last remnants of economic freedom while pretending to be preserving it, Americans still had spirit.

I can't tell you how much it saddens me to watch. It had to end, of course, the way all of these frauds eventually do, since that's what they are planned to do. I just thought there would be more resistance, more self-respect.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
America will certainly be around and to suggest otherwise is currently grounds for extraordinary rendition under our current set of "laws." Over the last twenty years it's come to resemble an empire about to run out of gas instead of a republic of laws and decent society.

The one thing I can take comfort in is that no one has ever reliably predicted the future so no one really knows how all this rampant authoritarianism will play out. As an American of many generations I still have hope that things will work out for the greater good. I don't think this is a baseless hope but of late it does have a wistful quality about it.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
America will certainly be around and to suggest otherwise is currently grounds for extraordinary rendition
I think I'm already on just about every list there is. They are reputed to be somewhat over-inclusive.

But that reminds me of another thing I'm going to miss -- courteous police. Even the one that wrote me a ticket for watering my yard on the "wrong" day was the very model of courtesy.

When the Department of Homeland Foreclosures starts protecting its investments, I suspect that sense of civility will come to an end.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
To be blunt...it's balls! I miss the America where people didn't expect the government to be their nanny and solve their problems. I miss manners. I miss the times before political correctness. I miss the days when we were respected because we were a little bit feared. The list goes on and on....

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
...I miss manners....
I have a hopeful theory which I'd love to see become true. I think manners might make a comeback in the near future since as the world gets seemingly smaller we're going to have to start to be more mannerly and polite to each other or else everyone's going to kill everyone else. This seems to happen in crowded places like Japan and Great Britain, where a culture of manners developed so some general sense of civil peace could prevail where the population is dense.

Perhaps so many people on the planet (what is it now, over six billion?) will decide that it's better to smile at than smite their increasingly close at hand neighbors.

--A.Q.

·
Registered
105 Posts
While I'm equally unenthusiastic about this, I believe it will all eventually come to pass and is likely a necessary part of the eventual rebirth of the free market in the US that was bound to happen sooner or later

·
Registered
Tie
19,961 Posts
I have a hopeful theory which I'd love to see become true. I think manners might make a comeback in the near future since as the world gets seemingly smaller we're going to have to start to be more mannerly and polite to each other or else everyone's going to kill everyone else. This seems to happen in crowded places like Japan and Great Britain, where a culture of manners developed so some general sense of civil peace could prevail where the population is dense.

Perhaps so many people on the planet (what is it now, over six billion?) will decide that it's better to smile at than smite their increasingly close at hand neighbors.

--A.Q.
I think good maners are learned but if people are not taught then they won't understand,I see more people spit which is one bad habit people do.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I think good maners are learned but if people are not taught then they won't understand,I see more people spit which is one bad habit people do.
Indeed. One of the highlights of book sales is the upward trend in books dealing with manners, etiquette and other kinds of good social behavior. One can hope that people are not only reading them but also learning from them and will pass this along to the generations coming of age.

·
Registered
431 Posts
"The world urgently needs to create a diversified currency and financial system and fair and just financial order that is not dependent on the United States."

https://www.reuters.com/article/ousiv/idUSPEK4365020080917?sp=true

The Chinese government seems to be pushing for a new world order for currency. I have heard rumors for a year or so about a push to create the Amero- a unified North American Currency. I wonder if this is the beginning of the end of the dollar itself.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Actually the things I admire most about the US your Jazz music, hey I named my son after Miles Davis, Les Paul now where would the world be without him, Keith Jarrett Trio. Your literature, well some Dos Passos, Faulkner Miller ect that will endure. The contribution to Art, yes with a capital A. The great photographers Ansel Adams. The Kennedy's, I have a dream, being a ten year old and watching the first moon landing. Get the picture, all of that will endure and so it should. And last but not lest the Filson Field Satchel.

But if you want me to shed tears for the greed ignorance and ethical bankruptcy which has brought the whole world to the brink of an economic apocalypse forget it I am glad to see the end of and I think that there are enough brains in the right places to introduce reasoned change which may rectify the current situation and promote growth across the board albeit at smaller rates than we have seen in the past. As for self regulation all I can say is how far can a dead cat bounce.

We all live and work in a global market. No country is insulated from the affect of the Wall st meltdown. All we can do is wait and see if this is the onset of another Great Depression, and then we are all gone or will correction we all have to endure work?. The coming days will tell.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
While the United States we used to have may not be back once it goes down for the count, the new America should be around for a while. What I have noticed for many years is that the goal is to undermine the federal government so that states rights will have greater status. The way it is being done is to put the federal government in debtor's prison so it does not have the ability to operate effectively. The reason that some want greater states rights is that it is easier to manipulate the system in various ways when one deals on a smaller scale. This allows one to straddle the laws of multiple states and peons like me have no recourse when insiders cheat the state, the businesses and the individual. Think of it as a new variation of the Good Buddies network (The Good Ole Boys) who long ago lost the ability to actually do anything of value and live by manipulating others to their own advantage.
So the new America will have corrupt courts, biased laws, the ability to steal at will, and the ability to punish without worrying about those pesky Constitutional or Human rights.
We are not there yet, well at least not every state, but it is coming unless we wise up.How's that for truth?

·
Registered
754 Posts
^ The goal is to undermine the federal government? If that were the case I'd expect to see government getting smaller, presidential influence weakening, federal judicial power lessening, defense budgets shrinking, etc. You got some serious paranoia going on there, man...

·
Registered
431 Posts
^ The goal is to undermine the federal government? If that were the case I'd expect to see government getting smaller, presidential influence weakening, federal judicial power lessening, defense budgets shrinking, etc. You got some serious paranoia going on there, man...
I have to agree on this. Federalism is dead. The last 40 (really the last 80 years) have been marked by a steady increase in the power of the federal government at the expense of the states.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.