Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Banned
16,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious.

I can't seem to find any pictures to answer my question. I know the BB Fitzgeralds have double vents, but there are other aspects of them that don't necessarily follow his stylings. I don't know if they'd be a good reference for the size of trouser opening he wore either.

Anyone know? Thanks. :)

· Registered
1,043 Posts
Just curious.

I can't seem to find any pictures to answer my question. I know the BB Fitzgeralds have double vents, but there are other aspects of them that don't necessarily follow his stylings. I don't know if they'd be a good reference for the size of trouser opening he wore either.

I suggest you PM Paul Winston.

· Registered
4,190 Posts
Just curious.

The BB Fitzgerald fit is by definition a 2-button, notch lapel, center-vented suit with plain-front pants. Most Regents have side vents, but all Fitzgeralds have center vents.

As for JFK, in this photo it looks like his jacket is unvented.

· Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
I recall JFK in single vents and non-vented jackets. Don't remember him wearing side vents. JFK didn't dress Trad, JFK was trad, at least regarding his attire. His contribution along with killing the hat industry were one-button, non-vented suits. I also recall seeing hook vents on some of his odd jackets.

· Registered
2,865 Posts
I'm sorry but when I look at that picture I don't get past the dress.
I'm trying to figure out where that was taken. Presumably the only time the President was with Marilyn while wearing that dress was at Madison Square Garden.

She obviously changed into something more comfortable before hopping a cab and sneaking into his room at the Carlyle.

· Banned
16,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the responses, everyone. :)

I recall JFK in single vents and non-vented jackets. Don't remember him wearing side vents. JFK didn't dress Trad, JFK was trad, at least regarding his attire. His contribution along with killing the hat industry were one-button, non-vented suits. I also recall seeing hook vents on some of his odd jackets.
That is a myth. The hat industry was going under long before he came on the political scene.

· Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Thanks for the responses, everyone. :)

That is a myth. The hat industry was going under long before he came on the political scene.
Yes and no. That I was wearing hats at the beginning of his Presidency, and not wearing them when Johnson served out the remainder of it, is a certainty. Though certainly my favorite candidate as a major cause of their abandonment is the coincident demise of public transportation for many during roughly this same period.

Still, I think few realize the significance of Presidential dress upon some aspects of popular fashion. (Not to mention popular culture!) It can be both subtle and profound. Watch and see.

· Banned
16,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I don't know about that. Bush never made an impact as far as I can see in his eight years. I'd be surprised if men started wearing olive-brown suits due to the O'Bomber.

· Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Bush never made an impact as far as I can see in his eight years.
We see different things. To me, Bush's attire looked simultaneously exaggerated, dull and smug. His cut and accessories often made him look as if he was stuffed. The fact that Blair wore suits equally bad is not an excuse. Truman liked DB's. DB's again became fashionable. Reagan was elegant. Elegance became fashionable. Subtle but profound.

· Registered
302 Posts
Perhaps Bush is a reflection of the current trend, rather than a trend-setter? His white tie attire when he hosted the Queen was rather embarrassing in its fit; in a dinner jacket or suit, he can, indeed, come across as merely filling a suit rather than wearing it to express himself; and his affinity for dressing down means there are no real changes he's making to fashion compared to what's already the norm. In short, he doesn't like to dress up, his suits are non-noteworthy, and he is a jeans kind of guy-- which sounds to me like most American males I've met.

· Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Perhaps Bush is a reflection of the current trend, rather than a trend-setter?
I think the influence runs in both directions. As you've suggested, his choices aren't his alone. But what he wears, does influence others, and becomes incorporated into popular culture at large, which in turn, influences all the many different people who build clothes. It's a feedback loop. (Will forego other terms that come to mind! :devil:)

· Registered
142 Posts
The car killed the hat.
JFK, the car, the emerging counter-culture, there is no one correct answer.

As to JFK, from my observations many of his jackets seemed to be ventless (possibly due to his back brace) with some single vented. I cannot recall seeing him in a double vent but that certainly doesn't mean he didn't wear them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.