Men's Clothing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Inactive User
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed a number of comments in different postings (generally not good) about the way people dress when flying. I don't travel for business anymore so the only time I fly is on vacation/holiday. I usually wear khakis, woven sport shirt (because it has a pocket), loafers and a sweater or coat because planes can be so cold. I don't own a jogging or running suit and wouldn't be seen in one outside the gym anyway. In everyones sartorial opinion, is this OK or does anyone have recommendations.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I should have thought that the answer to this question at least partially depends on the class one is travelling, the duration of the flight, the timings, and the destination and purpose of the flight. For example, it would make little sense to take a 12 hour overnight homebound flight all dressed up to kill, when the best possible outcome is to get some sleep

·
Sartorial Sultan<br> Moderator, Trad Forum
8,748 Posts
I agree that one wishes to--needs to!--avoid the just from the gym look. Some bemoan that people don't dress up for flying, but in the good ol' days you didn't have a body cavity search to get on the plane, either. I think you need to find a balance between comfort and presentation. I have generally opted for a--gasp!--business casual approach. Usually I will wear slip-ons to facilitate security, a collared shirt (polo in the summer, usually) and a blazer or sportcoat and khakis. When I flew to Colombia last month I opted for a barracuda type jacket instead.

I also find that some wish we could all have leather luggage and trunks as well. That would be great, but as I don't have a porter when I fly I have opted for rolling nylon luggage. I've tried flying with non-rolling luggage and I won't again.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
I don't really enjoy flying that much, so tend to go for smart-ish casual so I can try to get some sleep - sports jacket (for all the pockets!), chinos or similar, casual button-down shirt. The jacket is stowed in the overhead bin during flight, so I make sure it's not an expensive one.

My biggest faux-pas is that I often choose to wear sneakers (though a dark colour at least!). What with feet swelling up when just sitting there for hours on end, I want something ultra-comfortable to wear.

On the rare occasions I fly for business, I'll wear business-casual including some proper shoes though I am after a pretty cheap, but reasonable quality, suit to wear for this purpose too.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Out of the spirit of this post, but as a public service --

It's long been acknowledged that in case of emergency to avoid wearing synthetic clothing on a plane. Synthetics will melt and meld into the epidermis, which (if the crash itself isn't fatal) can turn a minor or partial-thickness burn into a full-thickness burn.

Of course, none of the AAAC readers would ever wear the evil poly-blend pants or shirts, so this is a bit superfluous!

At any rate... I almost always were business casual when flying; ie, pressed but comfortable khakis with either an OCBD or polo shirt, loafers and a blazer. Dressy enough to the flight crew or customer service so that when you have lost luggage or have a delayed flight and need to complain you don't appear to be a typical American Jackass, but comfy and versatile enough to stretch out and get a bit of rest during those delays or on those long flights.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
This is always a headache for me and I'm glad you started a thread on it.

Often I'm traveling between climates, which is always tricky. Do I dress for Minnesota or Mexico?

Also, the purpose of my travel is a major question. I travel around country and world to play soccer and run races. In these cases, I usually opt for sneakers or very casual, rubber soled, leather shoes. If I'm going to run 26 miles the next day or play 9 hours of soccer in the next 4 days, there's no way I'm going to abuse my feet any more than I have to.

Then there's the luggage question. I hate taking tacky luggage but my team always has an official bag. Usually it's a bright nylon thing, although I was fortunate in college to have an embroidered canvas bag provided.

Sometimes, while traveling with a team, we had a travel dress code that made things simple: our official polo, khakis, brown shoes, and our warmup jackets. This was great except for the jacket, and even that wasn't as bad as you're probably imagining--athletic wear has come a long ways since the bright crinkly windbreakers that were once so common.

I'm wondering what I should wear this weekend. I'm going to a tournament in Texas but it's fairly casual and the team was formed just for the purpose of playing in this tournament. I was thinking I'd probably be able to handle the Chicago bus stop on my way out if I wore a sweater and a baracuta. Shoes will probably have to be sneakers since we've got 6 games in two days. Fortunately I can bring my own luggage so I'll probably just have a canvas carry-on with a small nylon bag inside it (for taking to the fields). Polos will resist wrinkling while packed and be good for the bars.

Costly thy habit as thy purse can buy,
But not express'd in fancy; rich, not gaudy;
For the apparel oft proclaims the man.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Eastman Leather A2 flight jacket, off white silk scarf, Ray- Bans and brown leather shoes. The only flying I now do on a regular basis is in sailplanes and vintage light aircraft.[8D] On a less serious note: one should ALWAYS dress, or have available clothing for the climate OUTSIDE your conveyance. Many accident victims ejected from vehicles often suffer further injury from simple hypothermia. A recent Weather Channel episode recreated a helicopter crash on a Arctic region glacier. The passengers were dressed for what looked like an afternoon at Disneyland:(; hat,mittens, coat people, always.

·
Inactive User
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
quote:Originally posted by Mr. Knightly

If you look at the date you'll see this thread was started in 2005. Wonder where all the posts went from back then?

·
Registered
361 Posts
quote:
quote:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Mr. Knightly

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you look at the date you'll see this thread was started in 2005. Wonder where all the posts went from back then?
Looking through the old posts, I saw this one with NO replies. It seemed to me that the topic had a real bearing on day to day life and was worth exploring. I was a little puzzled by the fact that there had been no replies all this time. But mpcsb's remarks suggest that there were replies which have since disappeared!!

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Everything that Kav said. I also need to remind folks about the importance of natural fibers. As part of military flight school we had to watch some pictures of nylon and polyester melted to the skin (and privates) of plane crash survivors. You don't want any of that!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
quote:Originally posted by vwguy

My GF and I are flying out to DC in April so I've been planning what to wear...for the flight kahkis, loafers, a polo shirt and a travel blazer.

Brian
HAHAHA. Only on AskAndy would anyone admit that they're planning what to wear on a flight that they're not taking for two months. I do it too. That's why I love this place.

Costly thy habit as thy purse can buy,
But not express'd in fancy; rich, not gaudy;
For the apparel oft proclaims the man.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I like to wear something like this when I fly:

It is hard to smoke the cigar with all the air but one gets used to the smoke in the eyes after a while.

Sometimes I wear goggles:

·
Registered
25 Posts
I usually wear a shirt and either pants and sportscoat or a suit - plus, optionally, a tie and, depending on the season, climate of the points of departure and destination also an overcoat or scarf; but then again, I've until now only flown inside Europe, so the flights seldomly last for more than three hours.

I much more often spend long hours (or days) on a train than on a plane [for which I definitely do prefer do dress comfortably, i.e. chinos/pants, a (polo) shirt and a sweater], thus I don't often see the need for sleeping on short-haul flights.
This, nonetheless, did happen when I had to get a 6.45 am flight from Copenhagen to Munich this Monday. I was wearing flannel pants, a shirt, tie and a sweater - I fell asleep and, about an hour later when the plane was landing, I suddenly woke up with a stabbing feeling in the shoulder and head. For the whole day, I then had a terrible headache.
Maybe somebody can explain what happened to me? I suspect it may have had something do to with the change of air pressure?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.