Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

· Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While trying to make sure I have enough but really trying to travel light - I'm looking for help in what key shoes/pieces of clothing one should take for a holiday trip to UK/(1 night in paris)? I plan on attending some nice restaurants & some sight seeing.

· Registered
80 Posts
This is the bear minimum I would bring since you want to travel light :

Two pairs of shoes : one pair of burgundy oxford laceups and one pair of black oxford laceups.

4-5 pairs of khakis and one year round weight grey wool dress trousers if you aren't going to be doing laundry and dry cleaning on vacation then you need a total 7 pairs of pants; to break up the monotony of all those khakis etc.. you could bring a pair of olive color wool dress trousers.

3 solid white oxford button up shirts and 3 solid blue oxford button up shirts and one more striped shirt for a more casual site seeing day.

A selection of ties

One seasonal sportcoat/blazer. Right now it's summer so choose a summer weight khaki blazer/sportcoat or a light (material and color) blue cotton sportcoat/blazer or if you want to be really fancy seersucker. If you are going in the fall then you can't go wrong with a classic navy blue sportcoat/blazer but if it's towards the end of fall/beginning of winter then you need a tweed sports coat/blazer.

That's it besides the obvious other things you'll need to pack like underwear, undershirts, socks, belt or two belts etc..

I don't think you'll be needing a suit so I wouldn't pack one.
__

· Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Two pairs of shoes : one pair of burgundy oxford laceups and one pair of black oxford laceups.

4-5 pairs of khakis and one year round weight grey wool dress trousers if you aren't going to be doing laundry and dry cleaning on vacation then you need a total 7 pairs of pants; to break up the monotony of all those khakis etc.. you could bring a pair of olive color wool dress trousers.

3 solid white oxford button up shirts and 3 solid blue oxford button up shirts and one more striped shirt for a more casual site seeing day.

A selection of ties

One seasonal sportcoat/blazer. Right now it's summer so choose a summer weight khaki blazer/sportcoat or a light (material and color) blue cotton sportcoat/blazer or if you want to be really fancy seersucker. If you are going in the fall then you can't go wrong with a classic navy blue sportcoat/blazer but if it's towards the end of fall/beginning of winter then you need a tweed sports coat/blazer.

That's it besides the obvious other things you'll need to pack like underwear, undershirts, socks, belt or two belts etc..

__
What size bag(s) would fit this? I need to purchase one.

· Registered
478 Posts

A selection of ties

__
Perfect if you want to look like an American tourist, with the burgundy shoes, 4-5 (!!) pairs of khakis, 6 solid shirts and only one striped, a cotton or seersucker sport jacket, no suits, etc.
I was there in May and am going again in November. If you must take a navy blazer, make it double breasted unless you want to look like a hick.
Last time I took 3 suits (2 solids; one bold stripe); 7 dress shirts (mostly bold stripes), three black oxfords (one rubber-soled for rainy days), and one raincoat. I took no khakis, brownish shoes or sport jackets.

· Registered
2,642 Posts
...if you aren't going to be doing laundry and dry cleaning on vacation then you need a total 7 pairs of pants...__
Just what sort of vacations do you take?

Suits and black shoes are more common in London than here. If you don't mind looking like someone who is truly on holiday, a dark sport jacket or V-neck wouldn't be out of place. Definitely dial the palette of your shoe wardrobe to the darker side, though.

· Registered
3,334 Posts
If you must take a navy blazer, make it double breasted unless you want to look like a hick.
That's not really true. But double-vented will help you blend in and some lighter buttons would help in the elegance stakes. And no turn-ups on your trousers.

do men wear denim in london ?
They do, if you can carry it off. But get some with some shape and decent cloth - not 501s style if you can help it. Again, if you want to blend in better.

It's been rainy on and off but London will usually be warm and muggy.

So that's the UK taken care of. That leaves France but I'm not sure any of us wants to venture how you should prepare for one night in Paris.

· Registered
1,387 Posts
^ That picture was on The Sartorialist, wasn't it?!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.