Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I am just starting out on my wardrobe, and I have a black blazer or more appropriately an orphaned black jacket that fits me well. I would really like to use it, but I am conflicted on how to wear it. A forum search results didn't leave me with a definitive course of action just more doubts about what to do.

As far as my aesthetic, I am not a traditionalist by any stretch nor am I looking for a style for clubbing. I just want to look more like an adult and less like recent college grad. I am a 6' 160lbs, with dark black hair. With looking appropriate for my age-late 20s-as my goal, would you please suggest an option.

1. swapping the black buttons to either metal or mother of pearl for causal wear with white or tan pants or as office office wear with grey pants.
  2. since it is a black jacket finding some matching pants and making it a black suit
  3. wearing it with jeans at night-I can hear the trads shuddering already.

Feel free to be aghast at all three options, but please recommend a course of action other than throwing it way.

Thanks and have a nice weekend.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Welcome to Ask Andy, Joshua!

Oh what a predicament you're into.

For starters, most here will tell you that black is a color to wear only to funerals.

The other thing that you will learn is that an orphaned suit jacket is not very versatile at all: don't even try to match black pants to it, you'll never be able to achieve a good fit.

Your idea to swap buttons is probably the lesser of all evils, besides not using the jacket at all.

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
I would, in fact I have, worn such a jacket at night with jeans. It's a great casual look, especially for a young guy. Whether or not you change out the buttons is no big deal one way or the other when worn in this manner; however, if you are going to wear it with something like medium gray wool pants it might be a good move. Otherwise, I wouldn't waste the money.

Cruiser

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
For everyone who is insisting that he should change the buttons, please remember that has said that he wants to wear the jacket for clubbing at night. I am making an assumption that he is relatively young, perhaps a twenty something. I think the button changing advice is coming from the sartorial rule book and the idea that orphaned suit jackets shouldn't be worn unless it is turned into a blazer. Usually this means changing the buttons.

Hey guys, I'm 61 years old and even I know that a "proper" blazer with "proper" blazer buttons isn't necessarily the coolest look when clubbing with the young guys and gals. In this crowd orphaned suit jackets reign supreme. Even in my old age I still on occasion wear my black suit jacket with jeans as it seems much more appropriate to the comedy club (the only clubbing I do these days :icon_smile_big:).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your thoughts guys. I'll give my post another week and let you all know which direction I go. In the meantime, I'll see how much mother of pearl buttons run.

Thanks again guys!

PS
Hey Cruiser, just to clarify—I don't go clubbing, and I am indeed a twenty something, just not for much longer.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Do what Cruiser says - he is the closest thing we have to a voice of sanity around here.

Do NOT try to make a suit out of it though... It will look awful.

Wear it as a casual jacket with jeans/khakis - with or without new buttons.

If your going to go someplace where the details of your jacket actually might matter - wear something else.

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
Hey Cruiser, just to clarify-I don't go clubbing, and I am indeed a twenty something, just not for much longer.
OK, I misread your post; but even as a thirty something I wouldn't try to make the jacket something it isn't. I like David E's comment about simply wearing something else if you are going to go someplace where a detail such as this matters. Otherwise, throw it on as is with a nice pair of dark jeans and a crisp white shirt (or another color that you like) for a party or casual dinner this Fall and it'll look great. That's what I do.

Cruiser

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Cruiser and David E.

Guys, I am going to take your advice and I will just wear the jacket when I can get away with it. In the meantime, I will keep my eyes open for some nice buttons, but unless they are a steal, I think I would rather invest in a new blazer all together.

Consider this question answered. Thanks again to everyone who offered advise or read the thread.

J

·
Registered
343 Posts
Hey Guys,

I am just starting out on my wardrobe, and I have a black blazer or more appropriately an orphaned black jacket that fits me well. I would really like to use it, but I am conflicted on how to wear it. A forum search results didn't leave me with a definitive course of action just more doubts about what to do.

As far as my aesthetic, I am not a traditionalist by any stretch nor am I looking for a style for clubbing. I just want to look more like an adult and less like recent college grad. I am a 6' 160lbs, with dark black hair. With looking appropriate for my age-late 20s-as my goal, would you please suggest an option.

1. swapping the black buttons to either metal or mother of pearl for causal wear with white or tan pants or as office office wear with grey pants.
  2. since it is a black jacket finding some matching pants and making it a black suit
  3. wearing it with jeans at night-I can hear the trads shuddering already.

Feel free to be aghast at all three options, but please recommend a course of action other than throwing it way.

Thanks and have a nice weekend.
I'm afraid, my friend, that you will not find many lovers of black clothing here or on another style forum. However, I think your ideas are good (although I'd hesitate trying #2 - nearly impossible to get a decent match) and that you should give it a go. If you like how it fits you'll feel better about how you look and that's half the battle.
Jeans are a great option and experimenting with the buttons sounds fun. Go for it and post a pic for feedback - good luck!

·
Vendor
1,724 Posts
With the exception of Dinner Suits, I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of black suits we have made since the birth of our business in 1945. We have, however, made many black blazers- cashmere,flannel, doeskin, linen, and silk. The details that differentiate a blazer from a suit coat are the buttons and stitching on the edges and seams. Take the jacket to a tailor and have 1/4" edge stitching. If the jacket has flap pockets have the 1/4" stitching on the flaps. Change the buttons to metal, enamel, or gray mother-of-pearl. Then you will have a black blazer that will not look like a suit jacket.
Paul Winston
Winston Tailors
www.chipp2.com
www.chipp2.com/blog/

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I agree with Cruiser. I am 50 and have two black blazers. One is a 100% cashmere and it is more or less like a sport jacket worn with sweaters/ mock turtlenecks and nice dress pants. The other is a narrower cut jacket with black buttons and I wear it spring to fall with dress pants and a tie to court when I have very quick appearances in the lower trial courts or quick arraignments in our lower level criminal court, or 1st meetings of creditors in bankruptcy where no judge is present. With black checked pants, I can pair many ties with it and also wear it to a country club dinner with a white polo shirt. It is a very versatile jacket for me and not as limiting as you might think. Then again, the post about "rules" may be appropriate.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I could see a black jacket working in carefully thought out situations: with dark jeans and a white shirt, or with brown corduroy and a tan shirt. Maybe darker grey flannel pants and a navy shirt?

The important thing though, is however you wear it, it will be a modern style, which means it needs to be trim fitting. Also, material is important here, the more texture the better. A worsted will be difficult, but cotton chino, flannel, velvet, corduroy, etc. will all help with the modern casual style of it.

Also, consider deviation from wearing a dress shirt beneath it. A sweater worn below it could also help keep the modern style of it. Jeans and a turtleneck would be a great autumn/winter look (think Steve McQueen)

·
Registered
100 Posts
I was actually thinking about having a trim plain black suit made for social occasions (night time), with the specific intent to sometimes pair the jacket with jeans. I know there are technical differences between a suit jacket and blazer, but personally don't find that a black suit jacket results in an inferior look when used as a blazer. Nor do I think this break from convention will often be frowned upon (or even realized), especially in younger circles. Anybody think I'm off-base here?

·
Registered
100 Posts
And while we're at it, is there anything innately unattractive about pairing, say, a pinstriped jacket with jeans? I know it's clearly against the rules, but is that based on aesthetics or is it just that it "screams" orphaned jacket?

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
And while we're at it, is there anything innately unattractive about pairing, say, a pinstriped jacket with jeans? I know it's clearly against the rules, but is that based on aesthetics or is it just that it "screams" orphaned jacket?
To the extent it is aesthetically problematic, it is only because it will appear odd (i.e., unusual) to any experienced eye. It does violate custom, but such violations are hardly felonies. The look does scream orphaned suit jacket for sure. But what it really screams, therefore, is GTH. Most 18 to 28 year-olds can easily get away with this kind of vaguely rebellious look. Get much older than that though, you look like a man who is not comfortable with his age. Adults don't use clothing as a vehicle for rebellion, except in obvious humor.

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
Most 18 to 28 year-olds can easily get away with this kind of vaguely rebellious look. Get much older than that though, you look like a man who is not comfortable with his age. Adults don't use clothing as a vehicle for rebellion, except in obvious humor.
I don't think that everything a person does with regard to wearing clothing in a way that is outside of the sartorial rules set out by clothing enthusiasts is a form of "rebellion" against something. Most aren't even aware that they are violating one of these rules because they are completely unaware of the rule.

Heck, I've worn (and still wear for that matter) many things in a manner that is heresy in this forum, but not as a form of rebellion. Sometimes I just like the way something looks.

One thing I've noticed since I found this forum is the tremendous amount of attention given to age by clothing enthusiasts. While I will agree that some things do look better on the young or the old, I think that to a great extent this gets blown out of proportion here.

Having said that, FWIW, I do think that a pinstriped suit jacket with jeans is one of those things that looks better on a young guy. :icon_smile_big:

Cruiser

·
Registered
356 Posts
Crusier said:
One thing I've noticed since I found this forum is the tremendous amount of attention given to age by clothing enthusiasts. While I will agree that some things do look better on the young or the old, I think that to a great extent this gets blown out of proportion here.

I think sometimes that's "code" for so 'out of date' that you can only get away with it if you look like you were there for when it was first invented ;) My father or father in-law who are both a older than you are can get away with wearing double pleated khakis up above their belly button, but a person in my age bracket does not gain respect from his peers that way.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.