Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
I was wondering: what is the proper headgear for a person in his 20s, going to university, wearing usually casual-smart style (always shirt)?

A black hat, my favourite accessory is used with suits/tuxedos but it doesn't suit too much a semi-formal winter coat and a shirt. Any alternatives? A simple cap seems to me too informal...

·
Registered
3,258 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Trilby you say... sounds good! Do you think that a black one would be too formal?

Well, my friends are used to the fact that I am a little bit "weird" (saying "good morning" instead of "hi, whazzup" etc.), so Trilby will be a good choice ;).

·
Registered
464 Posts
In real cold days only a wool cap which covers your ears will do. Also look at what other students wear.
Looking at what other students wear is how clothing got into its current state. He's here to find out what is a better option not to match with the other lowest-common-denominators roaming about on campus.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
When in UK . . .

. . . hat up as in UK!

Here's a page of pretty good looking casual hats from a general UK online site:

Here's another UK site with somewhat more conservative tastes that has some ear-covering styles:

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
While attending university, I either wore a fur cap constructed by my grandfather (think Russian army, but muskrat fur, not commie felt) or a driving cap. Sometimes a fedora, or a toque, but most often, the driving cap.

Also, my khaki beret saw service more than once, but it was generally my more formal substitute for a toque.

Thomas

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
When it's really cold out nothing beats my old wool watch cap that was issued to me in the U.S. Navy over 41 years ago; but when I simply want something over my bald head I wear one of my ivy (driving) caps. I have nothing against the newsboy caps other than the fact that a lot of young women, especially celebrities, seem to be wearing newsboys these days.

Having said all that, a head covering that I really like is the bucket hat. Not necessarily the kind that Gilligan wore but one that is slightly dressier. I don't have one at present (except for a cotton one like Gilligan wore :icon_smile_big:), but I've always liked them.

Cruiser

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I would go for a trilby (a fedora maybe 'too much' in a university setting unless you go in a full suit and tie). And who cares what other students wear or think of you for wearing a *gasp* proper hat?! I thought university is suppose to be a place of self-expression and self-exploration and individuality, etc and why is it that goths/emos/etc can run amok with their unruly hair and black eyeliner whilst the sartorialists are too timid to challenge the staus quo...

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
You might consider a Tilley Tweed winter hat...seems to have a bit of an academic air to it. Keeps the head warm and for those more frigid periods and there are even ear-flaps that can be folded out and brought into play, to keep you comfortable. Mine shares wear time with a couple of Stetson Temple hats during the colder months of the year!

·
Registered
542 Posts
I'm a university student in Boston and wear a grey trilby in the winter. Mine is a dark grey felt, but if that is too formal for you a trilby in a tweed fabric would do.
This sounds good to me. A tweed trilby seems to be about the right level of formality. I don't think it gets as cold in the UK in winter as in North America so the warmer, more utillitarian choices can be forgone for something more stylish.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Newsboy

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.