Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

What style is this - like western? Is it terrible that I sort of like it? Don't hold back. I clearly have no sense of style....

Thanks for in advance for any education I may receive.

· Registered
14,999 Posts
Well it's a tab collar for sure. Not necessarily western. I believe it has it's origins in English country clothing. Others more versed in such historical matters may offer more insight (calling MattS!).

I think the pattern is a bit odd, though, for a sport coat.

· Registered
8,536 Posts
It's a sports coat that is trying to pretend it's from England. That tab sticking out from the collar is called a "throat latch" and is typically buttoned on to the underside of the collar and is removable. It's designed to close the collar at the front of the neck when turning up the collar. It's a sporty feature that makes this a sports coat.

As for the pattern, it's a windowpane tweed (or rather a fake tweed), and it's quite a traditional pattern for an English country jacket, just not quite as bold as one would typically see on an English country jacket. Nevertheless, it's much more of a jacketing than a suiting.

The only thing this gets wrong in trying to be an English sports coat are the basic straight, flapped pockets. An English sports coat would more typically have slanted hacking pockets or bellows patch pockets.

My only complaint about the style of this jacket is that the button stance looks a little high.

· Registered
2,131 Posts
Not western. Most western jackets have yoke patterns front and back at the shoulder. The elbow patches are a carry over and still used today to conceal worn elbows that are prone to wear on an otherwise good jacket, these days added on new jackets to lower the formality of the garment I guess along with the tab at the collar that should still be functional. An odd combination of cloth and pattern for that type of jacket. My opinion only, not that it counts for much, but I would pass on it.

· Registered
8,536 Posts
Not western. Most western jackets have yoke patterns front and back at the shoulder. The elbow patches are a carry over and still used today to conceal worn elbows that are prone to wear on an otherwise good jacket, these days added on new jackets to lower the formality of the garment I guess along with the tab at the collar that should still be functional. An odd combination of cloth and pattern for that type of jacket. My opinion only, not that it counts for much, but I would pass on it.
What is so odd about the cloth and pattern for this kind of jacket? It looks quite traditional to me, being a loose weave and a large multi-windowpane.

· Registered
2,131 Posts
What is so odd about the cloth and pattern for this kind of jacket? It looks quite traditional to me, being a loose weave and a large multi-windowpane.
Perhaps this,

As for the pattern, it's a windowpane tweed (or rather a fake tweed), and it's quite a traditional pattern for an English country jacket, just not quite as bold as one would typically see on an English country jacket. Nevertheless, it's much more of a jacketing than a suiting.

I think we are in agreement:)

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's a sports coat that is trying to pretend it's from England. That tab sticking out from the collar is called a "throat latch" and is typically buttoned on to the underside of the collar and is removable. It's designed to close the collar at the front of the neck when turning up the collar. It's a sporty feature that makes this a sports coat.

The only thing this gets wrong in trying to be an English sports coat are the basic straight, flapped pockets. An English sports coat would more typically have slanted hacking pockets or bellows patch pockets.

My only complaint about the style of this jacket is that the button stance looks a little high.
Thanks for this!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.