Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Relevant information is that it's a closing performance (starting at 2 p.m.), Russian state ballet and orchestra of Siberia, at a larger theater but not necessarily a very posh one (it's St David's Hall, Cardiff, UK), and I booked the 2nd most expensive seats.

I was thinking of something along the lines of a sports coat, chinos, some nice brown brogues, a white shirt and maybe a knitted or woolen tie. Is this too much or about right? Should I ditch the tie for a nice jumper over my shirt? Thanks!

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
That's similar to how I dress when I go to the ballet, though I wouldn't wear chinos with a sports coat unless it's a very casual cotton or linen sports coat. With a wool sports coat I wear wool trousers. When I go to the ballet in New York, I see people dressed in all manners, from suits and ties to sweatshirts. Things might be different in Wales.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Thanks, I'll get some wool trousers tomorrow. Isn't a matinee performance supposed to be more casual?
"Casual" is a relative term. If, along with wool trousers, you are wearing a sport coat and a tie that has significant texture, you're casual relative to the ballet. Could you dress even more casually? Of course, but why would you want to? Don't try to calibrate your degree of casualness too finely. Put on wool trousers instead of chinos, then relax and enjoy the show.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"Casual" is a relative term. If, along with wool trousers, you are wearing a sport coat and a tie that has significant texture, you're casual relative to the ballet. Could you dress even more casually? Of course, but why would you want to? Don't try to calibrate your degree of casualness too finely. Put on wool trousers instead of chinos, then relax and enjoy the show.
My sport coat does actually have quite a lot of texture. I'm a bit confused as most similar sport coats I'm looking at on the internet are paired much more casually with jeans. Maybe I have the wrong coat?

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
This guy on the internet is wearing tan chinos with his wool coat, imo he looks ok. This coat is very similar to mine incidentally
View attachment 19423
Those trousers are medium brown, not tan. I find that brown goes alright with grey, but tan is trickier. They also look heavier than chinos. Not to mention, the ultra low rise looks awful with a jacket and tie.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Wool trousers would pair up better with a sport coat if you have the “second most expensive seats” at a matinee ballet performance. Also, wouldn’t it be a nice feeling wearing wool trousers just for a change?

But there’s no rule that prohibits your wearing chinos to the ballet. If you opt for chinos, make sure that you iron them so that there’s a good sharp crease down the front of each leg. The rumpled look won’t do at all in my opinion.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
My sport coat does actually have quite a lot of texture. I'm a bit confused as most similar sport coats I'm looking at on the internet are paired much more casually with jeans. Maybe I have the wrong coat?
Wool trousers that have a texture-such as flannels or cavalry twills-go very well with sport coats that have a texture. It isn't the case that a textured sport coat can be paired up only with jeans. Just make sure that the texture of the jacket and of the trousers are different.

What I said in the above paragraph is for you to keep in mind for the future. For right now, wear creased, ironed chinos if that will be the easiest thing for you to do. I wouldn't want you to hurry out and buy wool trousers tomorrow-such a purchase should not be made in haste, lest you end up with something that will hang untouched in your closet month after month.

On the other hand, if you have time to shop around....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I'm wearing a brown belt. I am wearing a lighter coloured pair of trousers, though.

I have time. I want to put together a nice outfit that I can wear again in the future. If that means going and looking for some wool trousers, that sounds like a good idea to me.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Well, at least I don't seem to have committed that sin (of not wearing a belt with belt loops), because I'm wearing a brown belt. I am wearing a lighter coloured pair of trousers, though.

I have time. I want to put together a nice outfit that I can wear again in the future. If that means going and looking for some wool trousers, that sounds like a good idea to me.
How about laying 'em all out on a bed/hanger and let all take a look?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Nothing wrong with not wearing a belt with a tucked in shirt, but there is a problem if the trousers have belt loops. If I have a jacket on I generally prefer belt-less trousers to get a cleaner look.
That's the thing though, he's not wearing a belt with regular chinos. I've never been a fan of the no belt look, but to each his own I suppose. Agreed though, it's certainly a no go with those trousers.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Well, at least I don't seem to have committed that sin (of not wearing a belt with belt loops), because I'm wearing a brown belt. I am wearing a lighter coloured pair of trousers, though.

Never a bad thing to have a pair of wool trousers lying around.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.