Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen,

I just bought a pair of Crockett & Jones Belgraves in antique chestnut. This colour doesn't seem to be available in wax or cream. I was wondering what I could use. I like the shoes to be rather dark, but I want to keep some of the reddish hue. Could Alden's cordovan #8 be an option? Thanks.

·
Registered
403 Posts
You must have read my mind, Philip12. I about to ask this very was question when I spotted your post.

I am at the moment sorely tempted by the Church Perth in Chestnut available on the Herrings site. The problem is that I already have a pair of Herring Richmond in Tan that have taken on a little bit of a reddish hue after being polished with Kiwi light tan and buffed with a brush that is also used for buffing burgundy shoes and a pair of Loake Thames which I think were originally described as Chestnut and are now the same color as the Richmond having received the same polishing treatment.

If I do pull the trigger on the Church's, how can I polish them? The color of my Richmond and Thames is splendid but I'm not sure I want a repeat of this color no matter how pleasing it may be.

I do know that Herrings will supply a can of polish gratis with the shoes, but as much as I love doing business with Herrings, I really don't care too much for their polish. Apart from sometimes not matching the shoe color very well it's very soft and waxy, which although great for conditioning the shoes, doesn't provide the high gloss of Kiwi.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Gentlemen,

I just bought a pair of Crockett & Jones Belgraves in antique chestnut. This colour doesn't seem to be available in wax or cream. I was wondering what I could use. I like the shoes to be rather dark, but I want to keep some of the reddish hue. Could Alden's cordovan #8 be an option? Thanks.
Doesn't Crockett have a polish for them?

·
Registered
542 Posts
I've been using Meltonian Red Mahogany as a base and finishing with Saphir hazelnut. It seems to bring out the reddish tones and the hazelnut gives a great overtone and shine.
Meltonian Red Mahogany = cream?

Saphir hazelnut = wax?

·
Registered
10 Posts
No, I polish them with the cream then buff them out. I let them sit overnight then use the wax.
Fast forward to 2015. Saphir does not have Hazelnut cream. They list the following : Light Brown, Dark Brown, Neutral, Black, Mahogany, Navy, Cognac, Bordeaux, Medium Tobacco, Light Tobacco, Tobacco, Light Cognac, Natural Leather, Brown, Dark Grey and White. I have a new pair of Jack Erwin's in chestnut. I was going to polish with Meltonian Red Mahogany buff them, then wax with Saphir Cognac or a Neutral.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Those have a lot of red in them. I think Allen Edmonds Chili or Bob's Chili would work. Their new shoe creams come in a tube with built-in applicator which I am really liking. Applying cream with a cloth usually means a lot is wasted in the cloth, while a brush can apply it too thick and unevenly. Follow up with an untinted caranuba and you have one nice shine.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
In response to Philip's six year old question, Meltonian mahogany crème.

American makers usually use the term chestnut to describe a dark brown, while English makers usually denote a lighter, redder shade of brown. Since Philip said he likes his shoes on the darker side of that color descriptor, and redder, the mahogany should be ideal.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Just use the cream colored Meltonian leather balm in the small jar. It is suitable for ALL (!) colors and does a magnificent job.

Personally, I loathe (!) cobblers darkening my shoes, and I always tell them to pick a lighter shade than a darker.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.