Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious, with your trousers what rise do you prefer? Furthermore, do you wear them at you natural waist (navel)? Lower? Higher?

All the designers show ridiculously low rise trousers on their models; this--to me--looks a little to0 childish. That being said, I think wearing trousers too high looks strange.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I wear my pants somewhat below my waist because I have a short torso for my height.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Don't believe the old myth about rise being simply based on your height either. As PatentLayerNYC already stated, it has to do more with your torso. Even though I am 6'1, I have a relatively short torso for my height. So, I prefer my rise to be regular or just a hair below regular. A regular rise is 11 inches, so I prefer mine at about 10 3/4.

Low-rise trousers (in the fashion-type way) just looks horrible most of the time. I can tolerate them for jeans, but not dress trousers.

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
Cruiser,
At the risk of appearing stupid (never stopped me before) what adjustments can be made?
Not being a tailor I'm not sure exactly what he does but he marks them in the back and then fiddles around in the crotch area (after I've taken off the pants :icon_smile_big:) with the end result being a reduction in the amount of rise. This also generally affects a slight reduction in the size of the pant legs in the upper thigh area.

Obviously there are some limitations on how much can be taken out, but it seems to work for me on most pants. Perhaps a tailor can better explain what I'm talking about. For that matter, any explanation at all will be an improvement over mine.

Cruiser

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Care to explain what a 'fish tail' back is?

Thanks
I believe it's a waist band with a notch cut out. When you put on suspenders it closes up. Regular pants without it bunch up.
No. A fishtail back is a pair of swept-up panels in the back of the trousers specifically designed for fastening braces on.

Its a very old-school touch. Lots of guys on these fora that have bespoke suits made opt for it if they are fond of braces. I don't believe you could wear fishtail-backed trousers without braces in fact.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
10" rise I am 6'1 in boots and roughly a size 38 long.

Rise can be an issue in terms of how tall you are and how wide as well. It's not just a design style preference a ten inch rise would be too low on a very tall thick set fellow.

I tend to go for ten for myself which is maybe a little on the high side for a fairly fashiony suit wearer but then I tend to wear 3 piece so I don't want that gap as sported by Mr Timberlake.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I like to wear my pants about an inch lower from my navel. Too low and it looks as if the pants hang off my hipbone (and look billow-y at the crotch), and too high, it looks like I am wearing the vintage ultra-high-rise pants. If I wear pants at about 1 or 1.5" below my navel, I find them most comfortable. For this I usually get pants that have a rise between 10.5-11.5 inches.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
As long as possible.

I have an hour glass, and a little abdomen, so lower just squeezes my low riding gut. My shape shows better with higher rise.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I like to wear my pants about an inch lower from my navel. Too low and it looks as if the pants hang off my hipbone (and look billow-y at the crotch), and too high, it looks like I am wearing the vintage ultra-high-rise pants. If I wear pants at about 1 or 1.5" below my navel, I find them most comfortable. For this I usually get pants that have a rise between 10.5-11.5 inches.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I also have a long torso, and prefer a long rise. My trousers were all regular rise until I joined the service, where the uniform trousers have a longer rise. I liked the look, and have stuck with it ever since.

Low rise jeans make me look like a crossdressing Madonna wannabe.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.