Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently took the Jung Myers-Briggs Typology Test and came out as an INTJ. I really fit the profile (I can be really narcissistic sometimes :p) and I was wondering whether or not there would be a general trend of personalities on a fashion forum such as this. Have a look and, if you're comfortable, post your MBTI.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Dear Jack & Pedantic Turkey

I would not dismiss it outright as 'junk' it is based on the work of Jung and I think, correct me if I am wrong on this, his work on Psychological Types Vol 6 of the collected works.

But then for any humanities areas to claim they are a science is a bit of an outrageous claim as psychology, sociology ect al are all subjectively based.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Dear Jack & Pedantic Turkey

I would not dismiss it outright as 'junk' it is based on the work of Jung and I think, correct me if I am wrong on this, his work on Psychological Types Vol 6 of the collected works.
What does that have to do with anything?

Appeal to authority is not a valid argument.

Or, to be clear, Jung had some colorful ideas, but it would be a stretch to call them science.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
What does that have to do with anything?

Appeal to authority is not a valid argument.

Or, to be clear, Jung had some colorful ideas, but it would be a stretch to call them science.
This is something that I find fascinating, that Jung had some colourful ideas!

What we should take Freud and his focus on sexuality and its dysfunctions as the meter of truth for the way to measure the interior of the human condition. Freud could only perceive the unconscious as the repository of the repressed, remember that great line in Forbidden Planet, "the monsters of the Id". Jung on the other hand saw the unconscious as a living dynamic that functions in a positive light in our lives.

Jung's ides go way beyond what Freud achieved in placing signposts on a path to understanding the human condition.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I have no idea what I am other than a PITA (Pain in the A** which I am quite good at). Ever since High School, I have never been able to take this test or anything like it without purposely trying to screw with the test as much as possible. It can be very interesting to see where you can take this.

This started in high school when I was given a series of aptitude tests at the famous Johnson O'Connor Institute. I actually took the testing seriously and was astounded when they basically told me I had no aptitude for anything and should especially never try to go into science. The supposedly experienced, smart, knowledgeable testers were also fascinated with me being slightly color blind. They kept giving me the colored number in the dot tests like they had never seen a color blind person before. They also giggled like little kids when I couldn’t read some of the numbers as those were the colors I see less of.

My own personal experience is that categorizing people this way really doesn’t work very well. I’d rather not try to categorize anyone except through knowing them and working and relaxing with them. Works better for me.

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
I know a company that uses MBTI pretty extensively when hiring management. I wouldn't say they rely on it, but they use it to get a handle on you. They are extremely sensitive about their culture and bringing in new people. One of the things they do is they also give you pretty much the same questions in an interview with a recruiter. Some people will answer a question one way on paper and another face-to-face. So, if they are looking for Es or Is they will weed out a few "fakers" before they send them for interviews with directors.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.