Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My plastic one that I’ve been using for years finally broke, there are horn, plasti, wood, metal etc.

I’m leaning towards metal as it seems to be the thinnest & smoothest? I think I might have to watch to make sure the edges aren’t too sharp

·
Banned
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Came across a carbon fiber one, though pricey.

an interesting option I came across has a flexible spring near the bottom, I imagine that would be handy

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I have several shoe horns, picked up from various places over the years. They are made of stag horn, wood, plastic and metal. They all work fairly well, and I am yet to break any of them. My regular horn is a small plastic one that came with the last pair of Aldens I bought, more than fifteen years ago. It's kept near the place where I sit down to put my shoes on and tie the laces.

Two of the horns in my collection are quite long with a wooden body and handle at one end and a metal horn at the other. These are very convenient, especially when you don't want to bend over while standing and putting on a pair of slipons or loafers. And one of them does have that flexible spring close to the bottom.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Based on my experiences plastic horns eventually break so if you're looking for a permanent solution go with metal.

Having said that I use a long handle plastic shoe horn I got from Ikea for a couple of bucks.

Carbon fibre sounds like overkill to me.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Based on my experiences plastic horns eventually break so if you're looking for a permanent solution go with metal.

Having said that I use a long handle plastic shoe horn I got from Ikea for a couple of bucks.

Carbon fibre sounds like overkill to me.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
36,805 Posts
I rely on a couple of metal shoehorns gifted to me by the Shoe Mart when I bought pairs of Alden shoes from them. They work great and they never break! ;)

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
My plastic one that I’ve been using for years finally broke, there are horn, plasti, wood, metal etc.

I’m leaning towards metal as it seems to be the thinnest & smoothest? I think I might have to watch to make sure the edges aren’t too sharp
Shoe horns come in various materials and price ranges. Their function is pretty basic, so it comes down to an aesthetic or practical choice. This should not be a difficult decision, especially for a person who claimed that they weren't even untying their shoes when taking them off/putting them on...

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I really like the 7 1/2" plastic horn from Herring that came with my chukkas. Too bad they do not sell it there. I did find a metal/leather one on amazon I really like now.

·
Site Creator
13,196 Posts
I have shoe horns made of all the afore mentioned - wood, metal, horn, and plastic. Most of them are the long variety which I find easier to use. And I have them scattered - closet, garage near golf shoe closet, car, bathroom, etc. All seem to be fine, but I may have a slight preference/bias for the metal ones.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Shoe horns come in various materials and price ranges. Their function is pretty basic, so it comes down to an aesthetic or practical choice. This should not be a difficult decision, especially for a person who claimed that they weren't even untying their shoes when taking them off/putting them on...
I still hold by that! maybe I should upload a YouTube clip after I get my new shoehorn

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
I mean, it's a shoe horn...

I have one made from a water buffalo horn. I have an ivory shoehorn in Japan which I'm afraid to bring to the USA (it's probably a crime). Treasures, both.

That said, of course plastic is the best material. It's cheap and flexible, and you can lose it and just - like magic - replace it. Imagine losing an ivory shoehorn!... you'd need a time machine.

My dad uses metal shoehorns; personally I just don't like the "feel" of a metal shoehorn. But, their stainless and last forever; indeed, they will likely outlast the human race itself.

Just go with plastic, until you can find a shoehorn which grabs you, ideally one made from some kind of horn.

DH

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
I've got a couple from Shoe Mart, one leather covered and one metal. A couple came from Rancourt that are plastic and I just ran across one that seems to be a gold colored plating. Can you tell, I tend to buy shoes and keep the shoe hornso_O

·
(aka TKI67)
3,197 Posts
I prize functionality, durability, value, and minimal adverse impact on the environment. Since all shoe horns work pretty much the same way, functionality is not a differentiator. Since shoe horns do not seem to wear out or break, durability is not much of a differentiator either, but steel seems to possess a largely theoretical edge. With regard to value, free is pretty attractive. With regard to adverse impact on the environment, I find plastic the clear loser. Since it is already in existence and requires only refinement, one can make a case for horn edging steel out for the win, but the use of power tools to shape horn may be much greater than the stamping and shaping of steel. However, I have never received a free horn one. So for me steel wins. I got one from Shoemart. When I order new shoes, now quite rare, telling them I do not need another shoe horn seems to work. The good folk at both Shoemart and Quoddy seem quite good at actually reading comments.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Agree with @Vecchio Vespa - it's mainly aesthetic and personal preference...
IIRC, the OP is the one that never unties his shoe laces? If the thickness of the shoe horn (plastic vs. metal) really matters, then maybe start undoing the shoe laces instead?

I can, however, think of ONE time where functionality matters. Sometimes when I have flown business or first class, the amenity bag included a little 'travel size' shoe horn, which is actually excellent for travelling. Useful for security checks where shoes must be removed and so small it can be kept in your trouser or jacket pocket without looking weird...

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
I prize functionality, durability, value, and minimal adverse impact on the environment. Since all shoe horns work pretty much the same way, functionality is not a differentiator. Since shoe horns do not seem to wear out or break, durability is not much of a differentiator either, but steel seems to possess a largely theoretical edge. With regard to value, free is pretty attractive. With regard to adverse impact on the environment, I find plastic the clear loser.
Plastic breaks. I've had many plastic shoe horns break. I get them from hotel rooms or from friends. Some of them have lasted decades, but then they crack. I threw out one today that was a gift from someone who brought it home from a hotel.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Plastic breaks. I've had many plastic shoe horns break. I get them from hotel rooms or from friends. Some of them have lasted decades, but then they crack. I threw out one today that was a gift from someone who brought it home from a hotel.
LOL, some day we should start a thread called "Stuff we brought home from hotels we stayed in". For a while, when I travelled a fair bit, I would bring home a single sheet of a hotel's stationery and a single envelope with the hotel's name and address to add to a collection I had formed. I had at least two dozen hotels in the US and abroad that were represented in my collection. I have no idea where this collection is now. I have not travelled much since retirement.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
LOL, some day we should start a thread called "Stuff we brought home from hotels we stayed in". For a while, when I travelled a fair bit, I would bring home a single sheet of a hotel's stationery and a single envelope with the hotel's name and address to add to a collection I had formed. I had at least two dozen hotels in the US and abroad that were represented in my collection. I have no idea where this collection is now. I have not travelled much since retirement.
As long as you're not stealing Gideon Bibles from hotel rooms you're alright! (PS, I did find a $20 bill in one somewhere in Kansas as I was coming back east after military in California):geek:

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
I haven't seen a hotel shoe horn in a long time, but I'll take the pens and shoe polishing cloths. Useful items. I have a hotel sewing kit (something I rarely find at hotels) that I keep in a travel bag for emergencies. I went to a tag sale a number of years ago and bought a large collection of hotel shoe polishing cloths for maybe $5. It took me a few years, but I used them all.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts