Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I work in an office and the dress is pretty casual. I wear wool pants and dress shirts, no tie.

What sorts of outdoor coats/jackets would be appropriate to wear with these clothes? It needs to be warm enough for this Connecticut winter, and I will be taking it off once I get inside. I prefer to not always wear a sweater and then also a jacket/coat because I dislike having too much to take off once I get inside.

Also, any tips on colors to wear would be greatly appreciated. Any pictures you could share would be terrific.

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Assuming you're not using public transport, and consequently spending extended time in sub-freezing weather, I'd like a car coat for your purpose. It's casual but a little dressy, easy to sit in, and get in and out of.

O'Connell's has this one, which has a liner you can remove.

https://www.oconnellsclothing.com/O-Connell-s-Car-Coat-with-removeable-liner-Navy.html

Edit: Sorry about that! I neglected to check availability, and they only have size 42 left. But they have others on their site.

·
Registered
6,593 Posts
A duffle coat would be able to handle the Connecticut winter. For another option on less cold days, when you might want something shorter, a Pea Coat will do.

The trick is to make sure both are heavy duty well made (which means relatively expensive unfortunatly) items. Many thinner models abound,but won't give you the warmth you need.

Gloverall makes a well regarded Duffle Coat.

Outerwear Product Sleeve Grey Collar

BB main line Pea Coat (not the one at the outlets) will do.

Hair Coat Arm Dress shirt Neck

·
Super Moderator
488 Posts
I wear a peacoat (Gloverall) in the winter. It's a bit 'bulkier' to wear in the car than a car coat, but it's certainly warm (and stylish).

But if you go for a peacoat, please get one in the proper length like the BB one that momsdoc shows. Too many times I have seen them like this where you look like you took a child's coat by mistake:

Arm Black Neck Coat Human body

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
A duffle coat would be able to handle the Connecticut winter. For another option on less cold days, when you might want something shorter, a Pea Coat will do.

The trick is to make sure both are heavy duty well made (which means relatively expensive unfortunatly) items. Many thinner models abound,but won't give you the warmth you need.

Gloverall makes a well regarded Duffle Coat.

View attachment 19032

BB main line Pea Coat (not the one at the outlets) will do.

View attachment 19033
I agree with Momsdock about the Duffel coat. I just ran across one in a fine Scottish shop across from the British Museum in London. The shop is named The Highland Store and their UK website is highland store.uk.com ( if I recall correctly). The duffel coat I bought from them is high quality heavy weight and is sized numerically by chest size (40,42,44 46 etc) and is quite accurate in sizing similarly to my US suit sizes. The cost was approximately $225 US after the VAT refund including shipping and is priced at about 1/2 of a Gloverall and the quality is the same or better. They only come in navy but it is a great coat for the money.

·
Registered
6,593 Posts
I thought you said you wanted something warm enough for Connecticut winters? One that wouldn't require wearing a sweater underneath.

Neither of the ones you show will keep you warm. If you want to try a bomber, then I suggest this one from Overland Co.

Outerwear White Plant Coat Human body

Nice soft leather shearling. It will keep your upper body toast warm in the worst of winters. It worked for WWII B17 crews at a ceiling of 37000 feet, mighty cold.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You're definitely right. When I posted those images I was thinking of something for now. It's not technically winter yet, but it's pretty cold.

This Fall was so weird, its like we went straight from summer weather to winter weather , swept right past sweater weather. Of course I'm originally from California so I'm still learning how to dress for New England weather.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Honestly, you can wear whatever you want. Anything from something you would go skiing in, to a wool overcoat that would be suitable to wear with a tuxedo. Sometimes I wear my one of my cashmere overcoats with jeans and a t -shirt. I think if you are wearing a suit it demands a nice overcoat - on the other hand if you are wearing casual clothes somehow wearing more formal outerwear doesn't seem so incongruous at least to me.

With regard to heavy leather outerwear, it can be a bit hard to find. I am blessed to own a very heavy leather bomber purchased almost 30 years ago from Georgetown Leather Design. It has a thermolite lining and has the advantage of not getting dirty on the edges since there is leather is on the collar, waist, and sleeves. I think the shearling is pretty but prone to getting dirty over the long haul.

Honestly, I think from a sartorial point of view your best choice is to get a nice overcoat that can accommodate a sports jacket. That way you can layer with the sports jacket instead of a sweater. Alternatively you can wear a zip up sweater instead of a pullover. On warmer days just wear the overcoat. On the coldest days layer up. If you buy something with lesser insulation you won't have much options on the coldest days.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.