Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
472 Posts
It seems it used to be full break, but a lot of people are wearing them higher now. I think you can't go wrong with a medium break where the cuff just breaks on the shoe, showing a fair amount of shoe. And I would go with 1 3/4 cuff not 1 1/2 (if you are getting cuffs)...that extra 1/4 inch does a little something that is noticeable in my opinion.

· Registered
150 Posts
It seems it used to be full break, but a lot of people are wearing them higher now. I think you can't go wrong with a medium break where the cuff just breaks on the shoe, showing a fair amount of shoe. And I would go with 1 3/4 cuff not 1 1/2 (if you are getting cuffs)...that extra 1/4 inch does a little something that is noticeable in my opinion.
I go with no break to the barest hint of a break. My latest suit I had cuffed at 1 3/4 - I like it. To get the break or the cuffs right, I almost have to bring a club to the store to get them to do it my way rather than with the sloppy long break that is still all too common.

· Registered
2,219 Posts
IMO it depends on the cut of the trousers ....

For pleated trousers, I like a full break; for flat fronts or single pleats, I like a minimum break as the models in the BB catalogs generally wear. Also, my preference is no cuffs. I realize that others may not agree, and that these are my preferences. I wear braces with all wool trousers, flat front and pleated. With cotton trousers, usually sea island cotton or corduroy, I wear a variety of belts.

· Registered
2,642 Posts
I've come to prefer only a slight break in front, but a modest tilting of the hem downward to cover the sock for more of the stride. The back edge would then be about 1/3 down the counter of the shoe.

· Site Creator
11,760 Posts
matsuya:

My opinion from The Encyclopedia of Men's Clothes, Trouser Chapter:
What LENGTH should your pants be?

One of the most obvious faux pas in men's fashion is wearing too short, "high water", pants. Pant bottoms should cover the shoe so that you socks do not show when you walk. The pant leg should "break" at the front of the shoe and approach the top of the heel at the back. The outseam is the measure of the waist to the bottom of your pants and the inseam is the measure of the crotch to the bottom. Inseam is the measurement used for length in men's pants.

It's a good idea to have your tailor make pants at least ¼" longer than you think they should be to allow for shrinkage. Most pants shrink in the length even if you dry-clean them. It's almost worth it to go to your own tailor it's best to wash or dry clean trousers prior to finishing the cuffs.

Even then I like to make the cuffs just a little longer than normal to allow for future shrinkage. Fabrics will continue to shrink a little for the next several cleanings.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.