Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I mentioned in a previous thread, I've now purchased my charcoal suit. What kind/colour overcoat should be worn with this attire? I have black shoes, and brown gloves.

I'll ask for this as my xmas prezzie. ;)

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
You can't go wrong with a camel color ....

This color will go with any color suit. Keep it simple with your first overecoat. Get a sb wool coat. If there are days when you aren't wearing a jacket, get a car or suburban style coat to wear without a jacket. An overcoat fitted to wear over a suit never looks quite right sans jacket. Likewise, a suburban coat never looks quite right when worn over a jacket.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Versaatility rules

Unless you plan to buy a different overcoat for each suit that you may have, or may in future have, purchased, it seems to me that you should consider something that can be worn in a wide variety of applications.

A charcoal overcoat would look fine with the suit in question and also with just about anything else you'd wear in winter.

Getting adventurous with a garment that will basically hide the garment underneath or be removed and hung up to dry somewhere is, it seems to me, a little precious. if you are going to be carrying it around a lot over your arm, thus placing its color next to your visibly uncovered suit, one should ask whether you really need it at all. Same goes for wearing it unbuttoned, around your shoulders like the French and Italians, or dragging it behind a la Zsa Zsa Gabor (but her coats were fox or mink:icon_smile_big:).

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks a lot for the suggestions. :) Yes, it would be nice to wear it without the suit, also.

@ToryBoy: I like the suggestion you posted - that's on the top of the list at the moment!

I'm not sure how overcoat sizing works. If my suit jacket is a 38 reg, what should the overcoat size be?

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Best bet is to go to a shop and try it on. I have three overcoats and they are all different sizes (38, 40, 42), my British & US blazers are 40 and Italian 48 or 50 with sleeve altered. Hence it is difficult to say whether you need a 38 or a 40, that depends on the fit and thickness of the coat.

The first two I purchased at a store and the third online.

In terms of arm length, all were long, especially the 42. The 38 is for winter and to wear in the country, so was not too bothered with the slightly long arm-length; the other two were altered.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Most overcoats are pretty versatile: you can't go far wrong with camel, or black, or charcoal, or navy. I have camel single-breasted and black double-breasted topcoats, as well as three trenchcoats: olive Burberry, tan, and black leather. I'm in the market for a navy double-breasted topcoat with a breast pocket, a grey herringbone topcoat, a spring-weight topcoat in whatever color, an Aquascutum raincoat, and a plaid topcoat like the one Aaron Staton wears on Mad Men. No, I will never run out of stuff to buy.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I will echo the suggestion of looking for a nice gray shade. The coat posted is an excellent choice, I'm almost considering it myself. I would question how warm it is, and would be worried that it is more of a fall weight than a dead-of-winter sort of coat. In my experince J.Lindeberg has used some nice fabric and stylish details that I've liked very much.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks a lot for the replies. When I go to pick up my suit at the weekend, I'll try some things on, to get a feel for my size, and what I like. I am very much liking what ToryBoy posted, and think I may go for that, or at least something like it.

I tried on an overcoat in Selfridges when I was on my suit-hunt, I think it was from Canali, but at £900, it will have to wait!

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
If you can wait, then wait. I picked up my Prada db overcoat for £390 on sale, RRP £625 in Jan 07.

Get yourself to Selfridges on boxing day or the first sale day in January and there are bargins to be had - for example, £275 Ballantyne cashmere sweater for £100.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you can wait, then wait. I picked up my Prada db overcoat for £390 on sale, RRP £625 in Jan 07.

Get yourself to Selfridges on boxing day or the first sale day in January and there are bargins to be had - for example, £275 Ballantyne cashmere sweater for £100.
Yes, I remember reading about your Prada purchase when forum searching - very good! I will try and wait, it would be great to grab a deal like that. £100 for a cashmere sweater - that's great. I'm enjoying my lambswool Hugo Boss sweater right now, I've never even worn a cashmere before.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
keep cashmere for special/formall occasions, lovely material

I did start to wear my sweaters too often, well having 5 cashmere sweaters was the main reason for that - most of them bargins too. So I keep one for special ocassions and the other 4 for formal. The lambswool & cotton for work and normal wear, although i could do with about 5 more sweaters :icon_smile_big:

Lambswool is nice too, I like the lambswool sweaters from Hackett and Lyle & Scott

·
Registered
350 Posts
Go for a 'British Warm' or covert coat - the colours are more flexible and will look good with both dark and light suits.

·
Registered
197 Posts
At this stage in the game I would opt for a classic. In my view this includes

Covert

Loden

Chesterfield

British Warm

Polo coat

I will never be without a covert and I keep a Loden coat for the depth of winter. If I buy another it will be a double-breasted polo coat in the style worn by the Prince of Wales. I have always been luke warm about the British Warm as I associate with the gin & Jag brigade though I concede there is nothing rational in this and nothing takes away from the historical associations.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I have always been luke warm about the British Warm as I associate with the gin & Jag brigade though I concede there is nothing rational in this and nothing takes away from the historical associations.
Ah you mean those Arthur Daley types? I have a rather nice cavalry cut British Warm - single breasted, turn back cuffs and no epaulettes. Given the current weather and a lunch in London tomorrow I feel an airing coming on.

Don't worry I won't be wearing a trilby or hush puppies! If I had a brown bowler I could be seriously tempted

1 - 20 of 105 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.