Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Not much mention of tweed recently but what is your single most favourite tweed cloth?

I have not yet found mine but your pictures may inpire me!
What is my favorite tweed?

Why, just about all of them of course!

Though there was a special place in my heart for Harris Tweed before Brian Haggas sewed it all up in sheep's stomach and ate it! :mad:

· Registered
5,152 Posts
I've narrowed mine down to 5 of Peter's 50 choices.
Here's a neat trick to seeing them in use. I watch several british T.V. productions and have noticed several of the tweeds being worn.
Just remember, when you choose one, it's BOUQUET.

· Registered
5,152 Posts
Actually, I've narrowed it down to Bracadale for my hunting jacket and Sterling for hacking.And yes, I will actually hunt and hack in them.
If I had a brain, it would be the dark charcoal and a light charcoal overcoat for maximum versatility.
But no, I want to look like J.R.R. Tolkien dashing across campus, late for a saxon lecture on Beowulf.
What was everyone's first conscious memory of tweed?
Mine was the original movie Lost Horizons. Filmed in nearby Ojai for Shangri la ( Ojai is still a 'spiritual center' with one of Krishnamurti's ashrams and many other groups there) and the Sierras in winter for the mountain sequences. I then read the novel, and was impressed by Conway sinking into the protection of his clothing, content to let his fate rest in someone else's hands for awhile.
Of course, he was woken up to find their course somewhere over the Himalayans.
that's waht I want; to fall asleep in my Booksters, and wake up bound for some sartorial Sahngri- la.
I'll probably have Matt Deckard shaking me, and he will get the girl.

· Registered
2,396 Posts
Actually, I've narrowed it down to Bracadale for my hunting jacket and Sterling for hacking.And yes, I will actually hunt and hack in them.
If I had a brain, it would be the dark charcoal and a light charcoal overcoat for maximum versatility.
But no, I want to look like J.R.R. Tolkien dashing across campus, late for a saxon lecture on Beowulf.
Mine was the original movie Lost Horizons. Filmed in nearby Ojai for Shangri la ( Ojai is still a 'spiritual center' with one of Krishnamurti's ashrams and many other groups there) and the Sierras in winter for the mountain sequences. I then read the novel, and was impressed by Conway sinking into the protection of his clothing, content to let his fate rest in someone else's hands for awhile.
Of course, he was woken up to find their course somewhere over the Himalayans.
that's waht I want; to fall asleep in my Booksters, and wake up bound for some sartorial Sahngri- la.
I'll probably have Matt Deckard shaking me, and he will get the girl.
Very well done! I like it. Wish I had this type of ability to describe the details like you.

· Registered
5,152 Posts
We all have our gifts TonyP.You, for instance live in L.A. a city home to countless ethnic groups and small jewels of natural and architectural wonder bound in a cement matrix of unbearable uglyness.
I, having driven from Thousand Oaks out to Rancho Cucamonga, across to Pomona, Whittier, Anahiem , saanta Fe Springs and up Firestone to Compton and then a mad dash back weekly can only salute you.

· Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
What is my favorite tweed?

Why, just about all of them of course!

Though there was a special place in my heart for Harris Tweed before Brian Haggas sewed it all up in sheep's stomach and ate it! :mad:
...and then there are those of us, who continue to believe...hope...pray for the recovery of the Harris Tweed industry, in spite of Mr. Haggas's worst efforts! :)

· Registered
542 Posts
A slate blue herringbone tweed sport coat in the window of Landau's on Nassau Street in Princeton circa 1975.

· Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've narrowed mine down to 5 of Peter's 50 choices.
Here's a neat trick to seeing them in use. I watch several british T.V. productions and have noticed several of the tweeds being worn.
Just remember, when you choose one, it's BOUQUET.
You have lost me on Bouquet. Please explain.

KAV

What trousers would you wear with those tweeds were you not to wear it as a suit?

· Registered
5,152 Posts
Keeping Up Appearances is a british comedy . It revolves around Hyancinth, a woman best described as a social climber. Her husband's name is Bucket, which she pronounces with a norman accent.
American Public Television has a good selection of brit programming and you can start a tweed watching talley much like bird watchers, using Peter's cloth page as a field guide.

As to wearing a jacket sans trousers? Why, with moleskins of course.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.