Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Honors Member, <br>Varsity Captain
3,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ST. LOUIS COUNTY - A store employee who reported a shoplifter at the South County Center mall was attacked at work the next day in apparent retaliation, police said. The father of the shoplifting suspect held the 20-year-old female worker down early Saturday afternoon while another woman punched and kicked her, St. Louis County police Major Terry Roberds said.

The female attacker - believed to be about 20 and not related to the shoplifting suspect or her father - was still sought Thursday.

https://https://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/laworder/story/AAC4547C124C4C138625758D000FCCDA?OpenDocument

·
Connoisseur - Moderator
9,709 Posts
That sounds nasty. I hope that father is given a sentence that will teach him a lesson. I wonder if that might actually be obstructing justice. (I'm not an attorney.)

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
You have to wonder what happened to the wiring in these peoples' brains to compel them to do something like this. Nature or nurture?

Too bad our justice system doesn't allow the victim and her family to hold down the father in a court of law and kick him repeatedly before sentencing.

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
Obviously things like this never happened in the gool old days, meaning of course the '50s and earlier. Society at large has become infinitely more violent, raunchy, and disturbed. Where are those good old fashioned values? WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO AMERICA?

·
Registered
493 Posts
One only need to look at the news broadcasts, the number of people going on killing sprees, the number of law enforcement officers killed in the last month.

The more we evolve the further we regress...

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
One only need to look at the news broadcasts, the number of people going on killing sprees, the number of law enforcement officers killed in the last month.

The more we evolve the further we regress...
I don't know, if you can give me real statistics pointing to the rise in such degradation that factor in population growth etc. then you may have a point. Otherwise I'm quick to point out that news media, both in television and paper form, reports much different things than it used to. Sensationalism sells these days.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Obviously things like this never happened in the gool old days, meaning of course the '50s and earlier. Society at large has become infinitely more violent, raunchy, and disturbed. Where are those good old fashioned values? WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO AMERICA?
Though I do understand where you're coming from on this, I would argue that violence and cruelty have been part of the human condition from the dawn of time...it's just been manifested in different ways by each subsequent generation. IMO the cultural revolution of the 1960s was a turning point, and that we have all become increasingly desensitized to violence and raunchiness in the years since then. The entertainment industry, and the fact we now live with nstantly-attainable information (and all of it packaged to suit your own personal moral and ethical proclivities) doesn't help matters much either. In the end, I am still left scratching my head and asking (as you noted), "WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO AMERICA?"

·
Registered
2,556 Posts

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
Though I do understand where you're coming from on this, I would argue that violence and cruelty have been part of the human condition from the dawn of time...it's just been manifested in different ways by each subsequent generation. IMO the cultural revolution of the 1960s was a turning point, and that we have all become increasingly desensitized to violence and raunchiness in the years since then. The entertainment industry, and the fact we now live with nstantly-attainable information (and all of it packaged to suit your own personal moral and ethical proclivities) doesn't help matters much either. In the end, I am still left scratching my head and asking (as you noted), "WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO AMERICA?"
Whoa, hold up here. I thought it was a little too obvious that I was being sarcastic. I don't feel that way at all, if you read my other post in here. I'm far too young to have lived in the '50s anyway. The real difference between then and now is repression.

ON WHICH WE USED TO RELY...
See, he gets it. :icon_smile_big:

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I'm sure some of you would say that.

I'd bet you a nickel that these people identify themselves as Christians.
Almost everyone turns to God on the brink of death or disaster.
Shameful.
It doesn't besmirch God or his laws--it's the flaw of the individual through a lack of honesty and faith.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
What is wrong with people? Not as much as that one news story would seem to indicate.

In our world where there are 6.7 billion people, many today:

-went about their day and night and didn't kill anyone
-took care of their families
-had sex, gave birth or prepared for death
-passed away in a peaceful manner
-ate well or not depending on their circumstances
-prayed, performed some kind of religious/spiritual practices or thought about someone else other than themselves
-Bought, sold or traded the necessities of life

And in general did not beat each other up, although that has certainly happened in some places especially as we have ongoing wars.

I had the privilege and often the pleasure of traveling over a lot of the world and I was constantly reminded of the fact most people want the same basic things and are usually not inclined to acts of violence to get them. This is not, usually, seen as newsworthy. :icon_smile_wink:

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
ST. LOUIS COUNTY - A store employee who reported a shoplifter at the South County Center mall was attacked at work the next day in apparent retaliation, police said. The father of the shoplifting suspect held the 20-year-old female worker down early Saturday afternoon while another woman punched and kicked her, St. Louis County police Major Terry Roberds said.

The female attacker - believed to be about 20 and not related to the shoplifting suspect or her father - was still sought Thursday.
https://https://www.stltoday.com/st...AAC4547C124C4C138625758D000FCCDA?OpenDocument
Sounds like several people think they are entitled to more rights than the rest of us. I really do believe in capital punishment. Some people respect that and nothing else. In truth I am a pacifist, but there is a limit. The more I learn about some people the more I want real justice instead of the make believe justice of slapping a hand or a revolving jail door. Some people have the wrong parents and others don't learn as children and few learn from jail. Probably 90% of jail birds are career criminals, they just don't get caught later so seem like they learned their lesson. And probably 75% of criminals have no record, because they never get caught. How safe is America? Every day felons are let out of jail- how many are in your neighborhood? And what real hippie isn't a criminal? Didn't they all buy illegal drugs? Because of hippies small products are now packaged in large "anti-green" plastic to prevent shoplifting. Because of criminals we pay more in insurance and for products. In my opinion "law enforcement" are criminals, because when do they go after the serious criminal? Going after drug buyers isn't doing any good. Law enforcement never goes after the people behind the drug pushers- the people who are the real problem. So, law enforcement is mostly a joke. The only people they attack are lest dangerous people on earth and don't bother the most dangerous. Some places organize crime runs the "law", which has been going on for thousands of years, so nothing new. Whenever I talk to a cop I wonder if I'm talking a mafia thug, probably more than half the time we do.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
^^As Stephen King would say, "same sh*t, different day" or SSDD! Many years ago, a good friend and colleague of mine was working an undercover drug operation and the dopers discovered he was a cop. They took him to an isolated, wooded area and put a bullet in the base of his skull. He left behind a young widow and two young children. Later I was forced to witness one of the bits of human excrement, who at the very least was present when my friend was killed and who was certainly an active participant in the local drug culture, being set free on a legal technicality. It is sad but unfortunately true, that the cards are stacked against the good guys and the bad guys are frequently not held accountable for their actions. As it says in the Good Book, "we shall reap what we sow!" Regarding the situation described in the present article, SSDD!

·
Registered
219 Posts
nasty

That sounds nasty. I hope that father is given a sentence that will teach him a lesson. I wonder if that might actually be obstructing justice. (I'm not an attorney.)
It constitutes criminal battery, and possibly intimidation of a witness. Depends on the laws of the particular jurisdiction. Just as there is sludge on the street, there is human sludge that has and will always be there. Avoid them when you can; deal with them when you must.

·
Registered
219 Posts
nasty

What is wrong with people? Not as much as that one news story would seem to indicate.

In our world where there are 6.7 billion people, many today:

-went about their day and night and didn't kill anyone
-took care of their families
-had sex, gave birth or prepared for death
-passed away in a peaceful manner
-ate well or not depending on their circumstances
-prayed, performed some kind of religious/spiritual practices or thought about someone else other than themselves
-Bought, sold or traded the necessities of life

And in general did not beat each other up, although that has certainly happened in some places especially as we have ongoing wars.

I had the privilege and often the pleasure of traveling over a lot of the world and I was constantly reminded of the fact most people want the same basic things and are usually not inclined to acts of violence to get them. This is not, usually, seen as newsworthy. :icon_smile_wink:
I have had the same experience. I agree. In the same vein, 1 in 10 persons in California are incarcerated, have been incarcerated or will be incarcerated. So, be aware and keep your head on a swivel. The bad guys are out there.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.