Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Can anybody describe what it means when I keep reading about waist suppression? Thanks
It sounds like it refers to girdles, but it actually means that a jacket is darted so that it has a distinct waist. A sack coat hangs straight down from the armpits in a straight line, while a darted coat will taper in the middle.

It's too late in the evening for me to even think about posting pictures...

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Waist suppression just refers to the degree to which a coat has a defined waist. Think of a coat with the classic hourglass figure -- that's waist suppression. figure John Steed here is sporting a coat with significant waist suppression:

·
Registered
37 Posts
For younger generations it also refers to an apparatus (made of canvas and very small metal wire) worn under the pants and underwear that compacts the back and stomach fat. I know a number of younger guys in my office who wear one. They claim it reduces their waist size from a normal 44 or 46 all the way to a 38 or less. Gives them a very tapered - but kind of odd look I must say. I am old at 37 so I dont try and act like a clothes azz butter, but I think it is a weird look. It also gives them a kind of hitch in their walk. The bad thing is after lunch they hang way over it and almost look they had their pelvis removed. But I dont wanna judge, I am sure they pull way more females then any on these boards. But at least us old guys can sit back and snicker in our rocking chairs and bags.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For younger generations it also refers to an apparatus (made of canvas and very small metal wire) worn under the pants and underwear that compacts the back and stomach fat. I know a number of younger guys in my office who wear one. They claim it reduces their waist size from a normal 44 or 46 all the way to a 38 or less. Gives them a very tapered - but kind of odd look I must say. I am old at 37 so I dont try and act like a clothes azz butter, but I think it is a weird look. It also gives them a kind of hitch in their walk. The bad thing is after lunch they hang way over it and almost look they had their pelvis removed. But I dont wanna judge, I am sure they pull way more females then any on these boards. But at least us old guys can sit back and snicker in our rocking chairs and bags.
Wow, I'm a younger guy at 24 and have never heard of such thing. Sounds pretty weird. If the ladies are after the guys looks I imagine that they aren't to stoked when he undo's his gadget and doubles in size.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Wow, I'm a younger guy at 24 and have never heard of such thing. Sounds pretty weird. If the ladies are after the guys looks I imagine that they aren't to stoked when he undo's his gadget and doubles in size.
I have never heard of such a thing either but I would love to be a fly on the wall to a couple where he unloads that as she takes off her Spanx and Miracle Bra! HA!!

·
Registered
816 Posts
Speak for yourself when you say that they are pulling way more females than any on this board :).

Anyways. As the others have said, I have never heard of this either and it sounds awful, and just pure lazy. It kind of relates to that thread a week or so ago about wearing something in your shoes to make you look taller. Sooner or later, the truth will come out. Just be yourself.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.