Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in a lift once where i work, and a man got in. He had a wonderful smell and since that day i have always wondered what it was that he used that was so appealing? It was a really fresh smell....like he had got out of the shower type smell. But it wasnt a cheap shower gel smell.

I dont know if it was a body moisturizer, shower gel, deodearant or his aftershave. But i have alwasys wondered what it was that made him smell like that. I have also smelt that smell on about 5 other occasions if im correct. A woman sitting next to me on a bus as well.

Anyways, what is a really nice mens aftershave that fits the description. I cant explain the smell. Just really fresh and clean smelling. I wanted to follow that man and inhale him.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
You would have to be a little more specific about what you smelled. Some people think lemon or orange is fresh while others think of grass.
Everyone has their own interpretation of what they smell. Your best bet is to find someone that smells right and simply ask them what they are wearing. This is easier said than done because a lady might think you are hitting on her and a guy might think the same. Let us know when you can specify a distinct odor. There is bound to be a fresh solution for you.

·
Aficianado
1,481 Posts
I was in a lift once where i work, and a man got in. He had a wonderful smell and since that day i have always wondered what it was that he used that was so appealing? It was a really fresh smell....like he had got out of the shower type smell. But it wasnt a cheap shower gel smell.

I dont know if it was a body moisturizer, shower gel, deodearant or his aftershave. But i have alwasys wondered what it was that made him smell like that. I have also smelt that smell on about 5 other occasions if im correct. A woman sitting next to me on a bus as well.

Anyways, what is a really nice mens aftershave that fits the description. I cant explain the smell. Just really fresh and clean smelling. I wanted to follow that man and inhale him.
You may want to ask a moderator to ove this to the Grooming Forum.

·
Registered
507 Posts
As already noted, definitions of 'fresh' vary.

However, for universally inoffensive and definitely 'clean' smell (OP did say 'out of the shower') I must recommend Lanvin L'Homme. Lavender (which is what most people mean when they say 'soapy') slighty sweet with a tiny bit of spice for character in the heart notes. Perfect interview scent - one spray to the middle of the chest and you're good.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Aqua di Gio has a very nice, fresh scent.. Hermes also makes many colognes that have a very nice, citrus note to it.. I also like most of the Bulgari fragrances, which I find to have very refreshing, crisp scents..

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Using "out of the shower" as a reference and noting both male and females with such a scent it occurs to me it may be a shampoo. There are some very fresh smelling scents in shampoo and the thought of lavender is a good starting point. If you have a good nose, try to pin down if the scent is from the wrist, neck or hair. As long as you are that close it would be simple to start a conversation which leads us back to asking directly.
At this point I say shampoo or body wash (not all are cheap smelling).

·
Registered
7,502 Posts
Sorry Victor, but your question is as unanswerable as all other subjective questions, such as, "What is the best beer in the world?" or "Who's the best detective writer?" or "What's the best heavy metal band?"

And putting the word 'universal' in the Q doesn't make it any less subjective.

But for the record though :icon_smile: in my not so humble opinion:icon_smile_big:

Dunhill Edition (1984), Dior's Eau Sauvage (1966) (The lightest, freshest cologne I've ever worn), and Vétyver (Roger & Gallet's version from 1974) they're all decribed in detail here by perfumiers and others:
https://www.basenotes.net/ Use the letters in the box -top left- to go to a letter in the fragrance directory. You can also search by year, which would be the best place to start for you as you don't know the name or house.

And:
Guinness
Andrew Martin
Iron Maiden
:icon_smile_wink:

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
On the scent

First of all, I hope that what you experienced was a scent and not a smell:icon_smile_wink:

A scent is from something voluntary, a smell is is not. For instance, if all these people exuded a smell, it could be from something they had ingested. Less likely it could have been from something having to do with their work or environment; like working in a bakery or a flower shop.

If it were actually a scent, there is one that is pretty universally considered fresh and, well, appetizing: vanilla. That is one of the top notes of the scent I wear, Guerlaine's Habit Rouge, named after the hunt coat, not the addiction:icon_smile_big:

Since you experienced both men and women having the pleasant scent, it is rather unlikely that it is the same product, but it could be the same ingredient. During the Great Depression, I understand, both men and women applied vanilla, since perfume based toilet water was out of reach for many.

Sephora, however, classifies vanilla as "Oriental," and citrus, green leaves, and marine notes (whatever that is - kelp?) as "Fresh."

https://www.sephora.com/browse/me/i...53585817_TID105538172_RFDd3d3Lmdvb2dsZS5jb20=

You might consider spending a heady afternoon in a manufacturing perfumary trying to identify that scent from the essences they use to custom design your own scent application. "ScentCrafters," and there are others if you Google "custom scents," has a way to "do it yourself" at home, although I fail to see how you can do that without actually sniffing samples:

https://www.scentcrafters.com/home.html

Here's a bricks and mortar place in NY: https://www.neilmorrisfragrances.com/custom_fragrances.html

Here's one in Tucson, of all places:

Here's one in Los Angeles: https://www.blundaaromatics.com/index.php

Can't vouch for any of these because, as I said, I have the Habit Rouge habit.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Ivory soap and water.

Seriously, nothing is more variable than different people's perception of scents and opinions of them. Very literally, different individuals will smell entirely different things when they smell the same scent. Add to that the fact that different scents will smell differently on everyone, and it makes your question somewhat difficult to answer.

Several points: Aftershaves are not really a good idea. The scent in them is bad for freshly shaved skin. I use rubbing alcohol. Witchhazel works well, and I suspect hydrogen peroxide would be fine too. Scents work best as EDT's applied to the body and/or clothing. If you wish to learn a lot of people's opinions about scents, I suggest you visit Basenotes, which will provide many.

But since you asked, one I enjoy that most people seem to find agreeable and fresh is Creed's Original Vetiver. What does it smell like? Well, it smells rather like Spring in a bottle. It's one of their green scents. Very easy, fresh and friendly.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
I've always been of the opinion that fragrances serve one of two purposes - to make the person smell like they just bathed, or like they quite decidely hadn't.

For clean scents, I like Guerlain's Imperiale and Eau de Fleurs de Cedrat. I also like Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille, which probably falls into the latter category.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
, Dior's Eau Sauvage (1966) (The lightest, freshest cologne I've ever worn)
I have to whole heartedly agree with this sentiment. I first used Eau Savage 26 years ago and I always come back to it there is something clean, uncluttered and refreshing about it. Its not overly complex and doesn't assault
the senses as a scent.

I find it hovers and doesn't envelop the wearer or those your working with, unlike some colognes and here I would have to put big black mark against Eternity and what it spawned.

For me Eau Savage is elegant sophisticated and modern without being pretentious.:cool:

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Very personal indeed...for example, to me Aqua di Gio smells too much like Staten Island...yech, when I get a whiff, I get nausious.

I like Creed Velvetier...its in a green bottle, and is fairly sweet...very clean smelling.

You should try eBay where there are a few clogne smaple sellers...you can get small spray bottles for around $5 each, that way you can try them without spending a fortune on entire bottles, find what you like, and your set. One seller I've used was Three Kings Fragrances, out of Queens NY.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
Regarding the inquiry posed by the OP, why not just ask (politely) what he/she is wearing, the next time your nose detects the heavenly 'scent' you are referencing in your post? The person you are asking will either be flattered or be standing there thinking, "boy the elevator's slow today! :)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.