Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a Paul Stuart blazer and it was marked "Silky Powder." About $1500. Is this a line of clothing, or a type of fabric? I can't find anything online about it and wasn't clear from the salesman what it was about.

·
Registered
91 Posts
The term refers to the finish of the wool fabric. In words, the wool has as wee bit of stretch and feel is dry smooth to the touch. Excellent drape and resists wrinkles. Perfect for travel and in warmer weather.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Several years ago one of their catalogs had a description/explanation for their Silky Powder fabrics. I'll do my best from memory -

Silky Powder refers mainly to the fabric from which the garment is made, though specific construction may be used to maximize it's advantages. This fabric or the yarn from which it is woven has been treated to have special properties that lends itself to wrinkle resistance and drape, and the fabric is said to have a dry, silky hand. I believe it said the substance with which the fabric or yarn is treated is a protein, or something similar that may have been said to have been derived from rice.

Photos of these garments do in fact show clothing that drapes particularly well and appears to have a matte finish that paradoxically has a slight suggestion of sheen. It may just be my imagination being acted upon by suggestion, but it reminded me a bit of rice paper.

A further recollection is that this fabric may have been introduced for the summer in lighter weights, though it's sold year round, as particularly suited to the demands of heat and humidity.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.