2,301 Posts
With the current sale at Samuelsohn, this one is within your budget:

Cheers!

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
With the current sale at Samuelsohn, this one is within your budget:

Cheers!
Thanks, but it's listed as being $1,400.

· Registered
2,301 Posts
Thanks, but it's listed as being $1,400.
Use coupon code: BD2022

-30% = $980

Couple bucks left over go towards alterations. They will hem the trousers for free but know your measurements before you do that…

Samuelsohn is legit

Cheers!

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Use coupon code: BD2022

-30% = $980

Couple bucks left over go towards alterations. They will hem the trousers for free but know your measurements before you do that…

Samuelsohn is legit

Cheers!
Oh, I didn't realize the coupon can be applied on top of the sales price.
In any case, I've never been a fan of tuxedos that aren't black.

· Registered
2,301 Posts
Good and cheap (under $1,000). Used is more than fine.
I'd like one with peak/shawl lapels, all black, 100% wool, and made in either US or Europe.
Respectfully Sir, based upon all your requirements, -$1k is going to be a stretch. Brooks Brothers is even over your budget and they DO NOT meet your standards as they only have notch lapels...

Let me make this recommendation. Menswearhouse has their Jospeh Abboud MTM program. You must specifically ask for the USA made MTM program because MW have 2 different options. One is made in USA the other in SE Asia...

You can pick the fabric and details. Beware, you must make sure the SA's in MW are competent enough to ensure your garment is 100% what you want.

Sadly, I have found the SA at Menswearhouse to be hit or miss. At some locations, you may get an "old timer" who worked in a proper haberdashery once upon a time and now in retirement works MW for a little extra $$$. But often, more than not, you get young, underpaid, overworked SA's who know little to nothing about Classic Menswear and because of that you may have to go through several remakes of your garments.

I experienced this last year. Very frustrating. But ultimately MW remade my garments and I walked away happy...just the initial foray into MW MTM was a let down...

Good Luck Sir!

· (aka TKI67)
3,538 Posts
Etsy or eBay may be your best bet if your size is available. If you find a coat only deal, nice black pants with side stripes are not hard to find. I got a lovely Georgetown University Shop shawl collar coat on Etsy and got my pants through Hunter and Coggins. All-in under $300.

Here Is a 40R that meets your criteria for lapels, etc.

· Registered
285 Posts
O'Connell's had Southwick tuxedos stocked in a range of sizes, a phone call might be best. They were notch lapels, though.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Respectfully Sir, based upon all your requirements, -$1k is going to be a stretch. Brooks Brothers is even over your budget and they DO NOT meet your standards as they only have notch lapels...

Let me make this recommendation. Menswearhouse has their Jospeh Abboud MTM program. You must specifically ask for the USA made MTM program because MW have 2 different options. One is made in USA the other in SE Asia...

You can pick the fabric and details. Beware, you must make sure the SA's in MW are competent enough to ensure your garment is 100% what you want.

Sadly, I have found the SA at Menswearhouse to be hit or miss. At some locations, you may get an "old timer" who worked in a proper haberdashery once upon a time and now in retirement works MW for a little extra $$$. But often, more than not, you get young, underpaid, overworked SA's who know little to nothing about Classic Menswear and because of that you may have to go through several remakes of your garments.

I experienced this last year. Very frustrating. But ultimately MW remade my garments and I walked away happy...just the initial foray into MW MTM was a let down...

Good Luck Sir!
I'm looking for used ones on eBay and similar sites.
I've often been surprised with what one can find. I got an Oxxford flannel for under $200.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts