Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
while wandering around London in recent days, I've noticed that there are HUGE queues for the LV shop in Old Bond St and the concession in Selfridges..
far more than anywhere else.
Personally, I wouldn't be seen dead with any of their stuff - far far too much branding, and probably extremely questionable quality given the prices (even on sale I would imagine).
The company must be smiling ruefully as all these crowds bay for this conspicuous label-whoring.... how much of a profit do you reckon they make on each bag....?

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
while wandering around London in recent days, I've noticed that there are HUGE queues for the LV shop in Old Bond St and the concession in Selfridges..
They had big queues on Boxing Day. The LV shop is not owned by Selfridges, LV just rent the area and have dedicated staff. Just like the Prada shop in Harrods on the lower ground floor, where the Tom Ford shop is now.

They like to monitor the number of people and on sale days, they do not like too many people in the shop. The same with the LV shop on Bond Street.

The bags and other accessories were on sale and people wanted to get a bargain.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hopefully the recent financial woes bring about a waning of the conspicuous consumption that requires oversized and/or multiple logos all over a product.

Of course it may be one of those things that once opened...is never easily given up. How will people know you're carrying an LV bag if they don't logo all over it? Bleh.......

But I can remember a day when that sort of stuff appealed to me...so I guess it serves a certain portion of society...

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
They've always struck me as well-made but overpriced. They're going for the "Mercedes Benz" effect: Mercedes discovered years ago that when they raised their US prices, their sales actually went up: the high price itself was a selling point to people who want to show off.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Not all their stuff is monogrammed.
I do not really know much about LV products, but it may be similar to Burberry. Most of the products do not have the Burberry check in the exterior.

The Burberry shop in Knightsbridge (London) is basically like two different shops, most of the checked stuff on one floor and the good stuff on the next floor. Same with Aquascutum, on Regent Street.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
I do not really know much about LV products, but it may be similar to Burberry. Most of the products do not have the Burberry check in the exterior.

The Burberry shop in Knightsbridge (London) is basically like two different shops, most of the checked stuff on one floor and the good stuff on the next floor. Same with Aquascutum, on Regent Street.
The signature material is actually a vinyl-coated canvas called, appropriate, "Monogram." An equally iconic but less obnoxious pattern is the checkerboard "Damier."

Personally, the Louis Vuitton items I have are in Taiga, a textured leather. I have a wallet, cigar case, and card case in the now-retired dark green, and a briefcase, card case, and a new wallet I haven't broken out yet in the current grey-black. The small items have a small intaglio LV in a discreet place, while the briefcase does have a shoulder strap with black-on-black "Louis Vuitton" written twice along its length.

Today I saw a Goyard handbag for the second time in a week, at the same suburban mall in Atlanta. In the US, they're only available in New York and Los Angeles, so their appearance here is rather surprising. If I see one more it's officially a "hot new trend."

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I read it was against LV's official policy to discount under any circumstances. Has this changed?
I know they are a bit like Prada (and Gucci) when it comes to locations and how many places can sell the brand within a specified radius - it may be the same when it comes to sales. They do have sales with the main one on Boxing Day onwards in the UK. So people wait and then try get a bargain before the limited sale stock is sold

Prada do not like to talk about sales - even during the sales, they put the clothing on a rack away from the new collection range, like it is not the same brand. On one occasion it was in the narrow gap that linked the men's and women's shop and no staff would help with any sale items, (got a story for another day).

When the Harrods store sale is on or they have an extra 10% sale day, Prada do not take part in the same. Probably the same with LV.

Both also have strange return policies.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.