Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve just been browsing some blazers online and spotted a 100% wool jacket priced where you normally would see wool/poly blends (under $300.) It’s labeled 100% New Wool. What is this exactly?

· Premium Member
6,508 Posts
^
Often it has the word pure in front of new wool. Was it associated with the WoolMark, the triangular figure of woven threads that came into being in the mid-60s? I believe the new wool designation is put there to differentiate it from reprocessed wool from which many items are woven, or in the case of reprocessed wool, stuck together.

· Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^
Often it has the word pure in front of new wool. Was it associated with the WoolMark, the triangular figure of woven threads that came into being in the mid-60s? I believe the new wool designation is put there to differentiate it from reprocessed wool from which many items are woven, or in the case of reprocessed wool, stuck together.
Yes, I see it is. Pure new wool. Here is the jacket in question from Brook Taverner. For my purposes the price is right.

Clothing Outerwear Dress shirt Beard Neck

· Registered
3 Posts
New wool is a type of wool that is produced from newly shorn sheep. It is typically much cheaper than other types of wool, due to the fact that it has not been processed or dyed. New wool is often used for products such as carpets and clothing that do not require a high level of quality.

· Registered
78 Posts
I’ve just been browsing some blazers online and spotted a 100% wool jacket priced where you normally would see wool/poly blends (under $300.) It’s labeled 100% New Wool. What is this exactly?
I've always looked for the words "Virgin Wool" with the wool registered, authorized wool symbol to avoid reprocessed wool. This is a new one and though the web says it is virgin wool, it may not be an official designation, nothing to indicate this.

· Registered
32 Posts
New wool appears to be the British term for virgin wool, not processed or woven before. It has obviously been processed and dyed by the time it is a jacket. But only that once.

Pure new wool would have some upper limit on the percentage of other fibers added, less than 1 percent.

· Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update: I purchased the blazer in my OP and it just arrived today. For the price I’m pretty darned impressed! It has shoulder padding but it’s not boxy or extreme. It also has a good low buttoning point which is tough to find these days in off the rack jackets.

One thing I’d change is the faux stitching at the sleeve buttons. I prefer 2 or 3 instead of the 4 this jacket has. I might have popped a couple off but I won’t bother as I went with the S size so I don’t even need to get the sleeves shortened. All around good purchase.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts