Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a thread for all of you trad non-non-iron guys. My iron just quit on me and I need a new one. I have used B&D and Rowenta but both seem to have shorter life spans than I would have hoped. Any suggestions?
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
The brand is not as important as the controls. Get one that goes to 11. Why?

You see, most blokes will be ironing at 10. You’re on 10, all the way up, all the way up...Where can you go from there? Nowhere. What we do, is if we need that extra push over the cliff...Eleven. One hotter.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
When I went home last my mother replaced her second Shark that had burned out with a Black and Decker that is about is basic as it gets. But boy it was heavy, you can find it at any Target/Walmart for around $25-30. The only down fall was the lack of spray, which you can always use a spray bottle. I plan to pick up one once mine goes out.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Titleist 690mb. Great trajectory control, and I don't like chipping with cavity backs.
I find that the TaylorMade R7 is very effective when the cleaners have used too much starch. Whap, whap, whap, soft as a baby's...um, soft parts.

I personally use a Rowenta steamer and send my shirts off. And no, they don't usually use too much starch.

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
The brand is not as important as the controls. Get one that goes to 11. Why?

You see, most blokes will be ironing at 10. You're on 10, all the way up, all the way up...Where can you go from there? Nowhere. What we do, is if we need that extra push over the cliff...Eleven. One hotter.
Why don't you just make ten hotter and make ten be the top setting and make that a little hotter?

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Iron? What's an iron?

We use a Jiffy steamer and twice-weekly home delivery from Hangers Cleaners. My wife uses an iron more than I ever do...I have no idea what brand it is. About the only time I use an iron is to touch up a golf shirt or shorts.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I use a small Rowenta travel iron ... light weight, very smooth sole plate, and great steam. Bed, Bath & Beyond for $30. My grandma, who worked in a professional laundry for 40 years taught me how to iron. I use fabric finish on my ocbd instead of starch ... can do a long sleeved all cotton in about 7-8 minutes.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have had luck with a large Shark. Before I had used Sunbeam, B&D, Westinghouse but still had to use a spray bottle because they did not put out enough steam. The Shark is much better than the ones I have used in the past and it seems to be holding up -knock on wood.

Brad

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.