Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since finding this forum, I have added, for good or ill, the following items to my wardrobe:

• Cheap Haggar herringbone sport coat.
  • 2 corduroy sport coats, one dark brown Tasso Elba, one light honey brown Stafford w/ elbow patches.
  • A found (inherited) Harris tweed 3r2 sack jacket.
  • Cheap Stafford beige lightweight sport coat for summer use (on sale after Christmas for < $40).
  • Lauren camel hair 2B sport coat
  • 5 LL Bean OCBD shirts in light blue, blue, eggshell and white
  • 2 tattersall combed cotton BD shirts.
  • 3 vertical stripe (not sure term for this) point collar shirts in various colors.
  • 3 pairs of Polo Ralph Lauren khaki chinos
  • 1 pair of St. John's Bay chocolate chinos
  • Multiple Brooks Brothers ties on sale.
So none of it is super high quality, but it all fits well and is easy for me to keep clean and looking nice. I have started to get comments on my clothing, and the people at work have finally gotten used to me wearing a coat and sometimes tie. The only problem is that I constantly am on the lookout for clothing through thrift stores and clearance sales. You've ruined me!

On the plus side, I'm more confident and really appreciate all the help that I get here. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Congrats.
And BTW....it gets worse.:icon_smile_wink:

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I'm not brave enough. As helpful as you guys are, I am still a bit insecure and have seen how tough some folks can be here. Give me another month or two.
I don't think we are that bad, it seems like most of us try to give constructive criticism rather than just negative remarks. The SF is worse, some of those people are just plain rude. Just do it...post a pic :aportnoy:

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
That's true, I guess I'm still a bit camera shy. Maybe Monday if I can get the nerve up.
I was that way too, but I just decided to do it one day. Now I post all the time. Sure some of my ensembles are horrid, but I endure and gain many ideas from others on here.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Tell me about it! Since I've found this place I've sampled, Brioni,Armani, Canali, Brooks, Hsm, Hickey,Boss & Burberry (OK, that was early on) T&A, A&E, and Santoni.
Somebody stop me!!!
I was going to post in the thread about "Well Dress= Wealthy" that no, it doesn't because I keep spending my money on clothes!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Subourbonite, make absolutely sure to visit the Salvation Army on Dorset St. close to the University Mall: they usually have brand new suits/sports coats they get from the makers of Ralph Lauren for $15.
Wow. I had no idea. I will make sure I check it out as soon as I can. My wife told me it was no good and I believed her - once again proof that I should never listen to a woman when it comes to men's fashion (that didn't come across as too misogynistic did it?).

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Wait till you discover the utterly intoxicating nirvana of cheap deals that is Ebay! I just bought a Bijan tie for $25! I have another that is #2 of 4 ever made, it probably retailed for $300+ and I paid about $35 with shipping. If you do it carefully and put in the time you can get nearly anything for about 80% off retail and you dont have to score the highest end stuff. If you go after the middle ground, Ralph Lauren or brooks brothers 346 for example, the supply is huge with a much better buyer to seller ratio that lets you get things dirt cheap. You need a french cuff shirt otherwise how else are you going to start collecting cuff links?

Last one to the ascot is a rotten egg.

·
Registered
542 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wheres the shoes (and boots) on your crime sheet ?

Just wait till you get that addiction.

F.
I am kicking myself because I browsed the Allen-Edmonds outlet store in Manchester, VT yesterday and was planning on buying my first pair. I got carried away in a few shops, and my wife got carried away in the Reed & Barrow outlet, and we blew our shopping budget. In better times I would probably have just purchased the shoes anyway, but with the current climate I'm trying to actually stick to a budget.

The good news is that the AE outlet is only about 2hrs away, so I'll probably head down this spring to try on some loafers to wear this summer.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Now you need to work on the bottom half of your wardrobe: odd pants, wacky socks and fine footwear.

Monday? You mean you don't dress well on weekends? :icon_smile_big:
Weekends are usually chinos or jeans, OCBD and maybe a sweater or sweater vest. My wife (who does like my new wardrobe) thought the sport coats on the weekend were overkill. If the outside temp isn't ridiculous then I'll sometimes toss on my Harris tweed or a corduroy sport coat instead of a winter jacket on the weekends, but that's about it.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Wait till you discover the utterly intoxicating nirvana of cheap deals that is Ebay! I just bought a Bijan tie for $25! I have another that is #2 of 4 ever made, it probably retailed for $300+ and I paid about $35 with shipping. If you do it carefully and put in the time you can get nearly anything for about 80% off retail and you dont have to score the highest end stuff. If you go after the middle ground, Ralph Lauren or brooks brothers 346 for example, the supply is huge with a much better buyer to seller ratio that lets you get things dirt cheap. You need a french cuff shirt otherwise how else are you going to start collecting cuff links?

Last one to the ascot is a rotten egg.
+1, ascots are neat

Collecting cufflinks are addicting, especially vintage ones on ebay....I've purchased probably 40 or so pairs off of ebay in the last two years.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.