Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been going to London for almost forty years and used to go to W.Bills woolen shop on New Bond Street every summer and have them make me up a new FairIsle sweater every year .
I would pick out the field of colours and leave it to the women up north that would handknit them the sweaters amd they would be delivered to San Francisco about three months later .
I have I had something like ten of them made over the years and to this day I still bring them out in the winter,mostly vests and a couple of cardigans ... You cant beat a handknit wool sweater .
I digress . I was down on Jermyn Street two years ago and thought I would go back to Bills and have them make me up a sewater .They are no longer . I asked all the local shirtnakers in the area and half of them didnt know what I was talking about ,the other half said the business folded a few years ago .
I am Yank,but an Anglophile in my heart .I remember the first time flying into Gatewick and taking the train into the city. This was early seventies ... WHAT HAPPENED TO ENGLAND ? Its not there anymore .It is like any city in the USA with a different accent and pounds in place of dollars . I feel for all the people that had never made it to the UK when it felt like England and another world away from the USA ...Now Harrods is a joke ... It sells the same things we have in San Francisco at twice the price ...
Why are you letting this happen to your country ? Dont look to the USA for guidance ... We are a mess ... Give England back to the ENGLISH if you get my gist ...
Kind Regards
Jake Gerber
S.F.CA.
USA
Ps. An old tweed overcoat I bought thirty years ago on South Moulton Street .( Boy has this little walkway changed )

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
G

·
I first entered W. Bill Ltd in 1961, and had mauve cashmere V-neck sweater made. I still wear it. Over the next 20 years, they made dozens of pure Shetland sweaters and many cashmere sweaters for me, all of which I still wear. Also, I bought cloths which I had my trailer make into jackets and suits.

My annual trips took me to Edouard & Butler, for shirts and ties they made to my specifications, and Cleverly made be bespoke shoes—-about four dozen pair over the years.
Now, all gone. I last visited London two years ago. It was unrecognizable. Best not to go back, and remember it the way it was.

G

·
I first entered W. Bill Ltd in 1961, and had mauve cashmere V-neck sweater made. I still wear it. Over the next 20 years, they made dozens of pure Shetland sweaters and many cashmere sweaters for me, all of which I still wear. Also, I bought cloths which I had my trailer make into jackets and suits.

My annual trips took me to Edouard & Butler, for shirts and ties they made to my specifications, and Cleverly made be bespoke shoes--about four dozen pair over the years.
Now, all gone. I last visited London two years ago. It was unrecognizable. Best not to go back, and remember it the way it was.

My annual trips took me to Edouard & Butler, for shirts and ties they made to my specifications, and Cleverly made be bespoke shoes--about four dozen pair over the years.
I have just come across your message with regard to W.Bill as I was trying to find out the up to date situation. I thought I would perhaps give you a little insight into the other side of W.Bill.

I was one of two ladies who typed up all the necessary paper work required to send out all the beautiful garments and cloth purchased from the 4 stores.

We were kept very busy in the summer with so many Americans visiting but it was an all-round year trade. I did manage to purchase one or two cashmere/lambswool jumpers when the sales were on.

It was a lovely company to work for as we all felt part of the family. I am now 80 but still have fond memories of my time typing away all those mysterious addresses in America. I have managed to go to America twice and see some of them. I hope you do not think this is a liberty on my part but I thought it might amuse.

I no longer go to London, despite it only being about 30 minutes on the train, as I wish to remember it as it was.

G

·
I have been going to London for almost forty years and used to go to W.Bills woolen shop on New Bond Street every summer and have them make me up a new FairIsle sweater every year .
I would pick out the field of colours and leave it to the women up north that would handknit them the sweaters amd they would be delivered to San Francisco about three months later .
I have I had something like ten of them made over the years and to this day I still bring them out in the winter,mostly vests and a couple of cardigans ... You cant beat a handknit wool sweater .
I digress . I was down on Jermyn Street two years ago and thought I would go back to Bills and have them make me up a sewater .They are no longer . I asked all the local shirtnakers in the area and half of them didnt know what I was talking about ,the other half said the business folded a few years ago .
I am Yank,but an Anglophile in my heart .I remember the first time flying into Gatewick and taking the train into the city. This was early seventies ... WHAT HAPPENED TO ENGLAND ? Its not there anymore .It is like any city in the USA with a different accent and pounds in place of dollars . I feel for all the people that had never made it to the UK when it felt like England and another world away from the USA ...Now Harrods is a joke ... It sells the same things we have in San Francisco at twice the price ...
Why are you letting this happen to your country ? Dont look to the USA for guidance ... We are a mess ... Give England back to the ENGLISH if you get my gist ...
Kind Regards
Jake Gerber
S.F.CA.
USA
Ps. An old tweed overcoat I bought thirty years ago on South Moulton Street .( Boy has this little walkway changed )
Good Heavens! Thanks for reminding me the name of my favourite Bond Street Shop, W. Bill. In 1964 when I was 15 and training as a window dresser in Oxford Street I used to go to W.Bill in my lunch hour and purchase children's Shetland sweaters that were hand dyed with natural dyes of bracken, and other natural colours, they matched the tweed skirts I bought from the school section of a department store I have now forgotten the name of. I was a Mod lol!

It was nice to see W. Bill was still in business if only making tweed for men's suits, as far as I could tell. I loved reading the history of how it started in Wales.
Thanks again, and I agree with you about England and how Americanized it has become. Too bad, but at least we both experienced the good old days!

Sincerely,
Pamela

G

·
My wife and I had an appointment set with Brian Bill at the Waldorf in NYC to discuss purchasing his business. This would have been in the late 80's. At the meeting he informed us he had signed the previous week with someone who had offered him good money and a job. Upon his return from the US he was literally kicked out of the business.

The shop no longer exists. W, Bill fabrics are now owned and sold by Porter & Harding in Exeter. Their US rep is Kemp & Hewitt.

Leonard

·
Registered
2 Posts
Lovely to come across these messages.

William Brian Bill is my late Grandpa and the original WBHBILL store sign still hangs proud on the wall in the garden of my Granny in Essex with the William Bill name living on in my Father and I.

I started to look into this some more, following the realisation that Goldings Tailors the providers of my Military Dress Uniforms are still using W.Bill cloths.

Would love to hear more from anyone else with story’s of the Bond Street store and W B H Bill.

Daniel Charles William Bill

My wife and I had an appointment set with Brian Bill at the Waldorf in NYC to discuss purchasing his business. This would have been in the late 80's. At the meeting he informed us he had signed the previous week with someone who had offered him good money and a job. Upon his return from the US he was literally kicked out of the business.

The shop no longer exists. W, Bill fabrics are now owned and sold by Porter & Harding in Exeter. Their US rep is Kemp & Hewitt.

Leonard

·
Registered
2 Posts
William Brian Bill is my late Grandpa and the original WBHBILL store sign still hangs on the wall in my the garden of my GRandy

Leonard

·
Moderator and Bon Vivant
28,121 Posts
The fabrics are wonderful. Coming up the next time Hamranjami comes to Portland, I'll be ordering a coat from W. Bill fabrics.

·
Registered
1 Posts

William Brian Bill is my late Grandpa and the original WBHBILL store sign still hangs proud on the wall in the garden of my Granny in Essex with the William Bill name living on in my Father and I.

I started to look into this some more, following the realisation that Goldings Tailors the providers of my Military Dress Uniforms are still using W.Bill cloths.

Would love to hear more from anyone else with story’s of the Bond Street store and W B H Bill.

Daniel Charles William Bill
William Brian Bill is my late Grandpa and the original WBHBILL store sign still hangs on the wall in my the garden of my GRandy
Danieil ,
My great grandfather was William Bill. I'd love to know more about the family Bill. My grandmother was Selina Bill.
Are you still in the garment industry?
Matthew Craig

1 - 12 of 12 Posts