Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Feels like I've missed something in the past 2-3 years in which I didn't visit their e-shop. There used to be several options for sport coats in my prefered fit and size (Milano 36S) but now there's very little showing up. Plus the pictures look like some Zara-tier stuff. Can someone bring me up to speed?

· Registered
32 Posts
Delayed reaction (delayed because of the distortions in the US economy brought about by the secular expansion of the money supply) to the decline of the US economy that was the inevitable consequence of the availability of less expensive labor in world markets (said monetary expansion having been adopted to insulate certain favored US interests from said decline).

That is to say, the US cannot afford what Brooks Brothers once was.

· (aka TKI67)
3,449 Posts
Delayed reaction (delayed because of the distortions in the US economy brought about by the secular expansion of the money supply) to the decline of the US economy that was the inevitable consequence of the availability of less expensive labor in world markets (said monetary expansion having been adopted to insulate certain favored US interests from said decline).

That is to say, the US cannot afford what Brooks Brothers once was.
True. However, those who were Brooks' traditional market, middle aged executives and lawyers, can. It was a lucrative run. In my five decades as a banking lawyer I probably spent enough to have bought a Porsche. God bless Carol Dohra.

· Registered
877 Posts
Companies start off passionate about a quality product or excellent service, but eventually the MBAs take over and they see the product as just widgets. i.e. They don't have any pride invested in the product per se. They are focused on the profit margin, at the cost of the original quality and therefore the reputation. But sometimes they alienate the original customer base without really building up a sufficient new customer base for their new (crap) product line.

· Registered
402 Posts
It's also a supply/demand issue. Sartorial standards, i.e. dress codes in the work place and the like, have been in dramatic decline for over 30 years. The market is virtually gone. The "Casual Fridays" trend was the camel's nose under the tent. The pandemic is the nail in the coffin.

(It will be like buying a gallon of gas in the future...you'll still find it and it won't be cheap.)

· Registered
78 Posts
Hello all,

Feels like I've missed something in the past 2-3 years in which I didn't visit their e-shop. There used to be several options for sport coats in my prefered fit and size (Milano 36S) but now there's very little showing up. Plus the pictures look like some Zara-tier stuff. Can someone bring me up to speed?
I'm very sorry to tell you that in my view BB isn't worth going to or shopping. I began with them out of graduate school and a transfer to this city in 1975. Attractions were high quality shirt fabrics (and construction), same for ties, suits at fair prices and top tailors. Over decades I gravitated to higher end choices, with great disappointment at seeing Crockett and Jones, Alden, Edward Green, disappear. A variation was a Church's store, and high end men's store with Scotish sweaters/hosiery and H Freeman suits. High end shirts were replaced by only "no iron", and ... poorer ties, China MTM, Italian shoes that look nice with questionable leather and lasts. Once they entered bankruptcy and were sold off to become only a brand it was no longer worth doing. It's dead. Very sad. If you are serious about top quality clothes, check out O'Connell's in Buffalo, NY. Long retired, the only items I've purchased are sweaters (excellent), madras shirts (excellent), and Viella shirts. The trousers look very good. I'm not in the market for suits, have one MTM just adjusted. Enough for my last song.

· Registered
78 Posts
I'm very sorry to tell you that in my view BB isn't worth going to or shopping. I began with them out of graduate school and a transfer to this city in 1975. Attractions were high quality shirt fabrics (and construction), same for ties, suits at fair prices and top tailors. Over decades I gravitated to higher end choices, with great disappointment at seeing Crockett and Jones, Alden, Edward Green, disappear. A variation was a Church's store, and high end men's store with Scotish sweaters/hosiery and H Freeman suits. High end shirts were replaced by only "no iron", and ... poorer ties, China MTM, Italian shoes that look nice with questionable leather and lasts. Once they entered bankruptcy and were sold off to become only a brand it was no longer worth doing. It's dead. Very sad. If you are serious about top quality clothes, check out O'Connell's in Buffalo, NY. Long retired, the only items I've purchased are sweaters (excellent), madras shirts (excellent), and Viella shirts. The trousers look very good. I'm not in the market for suits, have one MTM just adjusted. Enough for my last song.
Forgot something to add ... before BB became a glorified Men's Warehouse I bought a panama hat at half price. It is excellent and I was so happy to see it. To be fair, most all my shirts are BB Black Fleece, belts BB plus Alden and AE, all my ties except Ferragamo and Christmas ties, shoes from Church's and Alden. Recent sweaters were a bust and I gave the BB to GW and bought top end Scotish from O'Connell's. I fooled myself (see Feynman quote) when BB sweaters were half price. Half of poorer construction is half of nothing. Again, to be fair I still own an older BB sweater that is top notch. My wife is likely tired of hearing me moan about the demise of BB. Thanks for letting me vent.

· Registered
1,019 Posts
For some odd reason, what you see on their site vs a well stocked store is night and day. When I go to the store in Chevy Chase, it's full of great things that I'm not seeing on the website (like odd inch waisted cords for one!). If there's one near you I'd recommend going. They still have a lot of great stuff but the website isn't really showing it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts