Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pair of Dacks brogues that are made by Cheaney as the Cheaney Lambeth. Like all shoes in the Cheaney Essentials collection

these are available in calf and high shine. Is High Shine just another name for corrected grain or a higher quality leather polished for ease of maintenance? And is there a difference between Polished binder as Church describe their shiny shoes and Hi Shine? If these really are just corrected grain why aren't they cheaper than calf?

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
My understanding is that Hi Shine is corrected grain covered in a polymer finish to acheive a lasting high shine to the shoe. Church's Polished Binder is similar but as is often pointed out is the best quality shiny finish of the lot - because it seems to outlast the others and not wrinkle like the others.

I believe it is a misunderstanding that corrected grain is always a low quality leather disguised - certainly that is what it often is but the process can also be used on better leathers with the purpose of acheiving a good adhering of the shiny coating.

I would say that if you don't like shiny finishes avoid Cheaney's Hi Shine - and if it is from their lower end range it won't be particularly good.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My understanding is that Hi Shine is corrected grain covered in a polymer finish to acheive a lasting high shine to the shoe. Church's Polished Binder is similar but as is often pointed out is the best quality shiny finish of the lot - because it seems to outlast the others and not wrinkle like the others.

I believe it is a misunderstanding that corrected grain is always a low quality leather disguised - certainly that is what it often is but the process can also be used on better leathers with the purpose of acheiving a good adhering of the shiny coating.

I would say that if you don't like shiny finishes avoid Cheaney's Hi Shine - and if it is from their lower end range it won't be particularly good.
Thanks Leather Man. Any idea how Polished Binder differs? Also if there is a polymer finish does this mean polishing them is a waste of time?

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I don't know how it differs and its probably a trade secret! All I know is that from experience Barkers and Loakes high polished finishes look dreadful after about two wearings ( years since I wore them for that reason) but Church's PB stays great looking for years - I guess you get what you pay for - also I think it just looks better.

You would think polishing was a waste of time but I've asked Church's and they insist it is beneficial. IMO it does at least improve the appearance of the shoes after a day's wear and add a thin layer of wax to protect the surface.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All I know is that from experience Barkers and Loakes high polished finishes look dreadful after about two wearings ( years since I wore them for that reason) but Church's PB stays great looking for years - I guess you get what you pay for - also I think it just looks better.
Well let's hope the Cheaney are better than the Loake and Barber! I've worn Dexter High Shine before and they looked pristine after more than decade of very heavy use. They were shiny, and yet not stiff. And whatever finish was on them wore off after about 5 years.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.