Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"Darted"

Indeed sir. I forgot that I was posting in the "trad" forum as my taste in these things is a little more flexible - I can stomach darts from time to time.

That said, I will check the bay for some gently used BB alternatives.

And no, I sadly cannot afford a new BB blazer.

On that point thought, is the BB blazer canvassed, half, full?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I wasn't trying to be rude and I am sorry if I was abrupt. One of most valuable things about this forum is that it has kept me from spending money on items that I would only have to replace later. That jcrew jacket probably falls into that category. Nobody around here looks down on thrifted items. In general, buy used until you can afford to buy the good stuff new. Spending $50 on an ebay blazer is spending good money. Spending $600 on a blazer from Brooks, Press, or O'Connells is good money. Spending $300 on a darted blazer from jcrew is a waste of money, IMHO.
Good luck,
HD

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I'm sort of the J.Crew apologista here, though even I say you have to pick and choose and never pay full retail.

The J.Crew near me would always have a few "Legacy" (do you think it's named with some irony?) blazers on sale, probably returns from the catalog.
They weren;t bad, dept store quality, just like a Satfford blazer you'd probably pay about the same for.

If you're looking for something new, I have no usefull advice.
Otherwise, set up some ebay search alerts, be patient, inquisitive, and prepared to be disapointed.

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
...just pick up something from ebay or a thrift store.
Case in point:

I have an eBay search running for Brooks Brothers jackets. With the new search thingy, it's set up for my ostensible jacket size plus one up and one down, regular and short, to account for variables in sizing and clueless sellers.

As in thrift shops, over 95 percent of what is returned on the search isn't anything I want, and of the 5 percent that warrant a closer look, either I don't need it or it's not quite right or too expensive or I get outbid.

Or I walk away with a perfectly useful BB blazer for $35.

·
Registered
780 Posts
You can frequently find nwt or as new items on ebay for a fraction of the retail price. I scored a JPress sack navy blazer with no noticeable wear for $26 on ebay. It even has beautiful custom brass buttons from England.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pentheos,

If I may "defend" myself for a moment...

I bought several 346 ties, two shirts at the BB factory store. However, as a 40L, they simply did not stock (or even make it seemed) my size jacket. To that extent, the offerings were "unserviceable." I should have been more precise I suppose. That said, I did not like much of the suiting offered anyway. The jackets had no substance to them, and I did not care for the cut.

As to the J. Crew inquiry, I have a big gift certificate burning a hole in my pocket and was simply wondering if this would be a waste of money, or if anyone had a favorable opinion of this particular blazer.

You likely did not see it, but in an earlier post I mentioned that I am ramping up for a summer internship on a comparatively small budget.

While I do not have the luxury of many posters here in clothing options, AAAC has taught me something about the standards to which I should hold my clothing. Nevertheless I constantly have to apply a cost-benefit analysis to my purchases, and this post was simply a part of that process.

Thank you for your input though, I guess. Perhaps I should not be so picky.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
^^Scl10: Continue to be picky but, don't give up on the BB factory/outlet stores just yet. There are great deals to be had ($500 sport coats for $127, $248 sweaters for $23, $79 casual trousers for $18; all retail store offerings). It just requires a bit of due diligence! ;)

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
If I had a J. Crew gift certificate I'd stock up on argyle socks and repp ties, inexpensive almost to the point of being disposable. (I'm rough on ties.)

I would also stock up on their chinos if they fit me, which they don't.

·
Registered
267 Posts
As of last Friday there was a really nice Hickey Freeman 3b suit at the Goodwill on Garner's Ferry in really good condition. Sadly, it was too big for me but you could pick it up for $12. There were a couple of Hickey Freeman blazers as well, I got one but the other one may still be there.

I think a lot of people come to Columbia to retire. The weather's great and houses are ridiculously cheap. When they get here they just dump their suits at Goodwill. Also Lourie's went out of business after 100 years and dumped a whole bunch of brand new suits which still seem to turn up at Goodwill.

Whether you buy new or used, I've found that tailoring is key. You want to factor in tailoring to the cost of anything you buy. Not sure if you have a good tailor but I'm pretty happy with Nick's on Lady street.

Now go get that HF suit, Pennoyer v. Neff can wait!

P.S. - Not sure if you've taken Evidence yet but Prof. Butler was amazing. A lot of students didn't like her for Crim but really liked her for Evidence.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Charlie,

Thank you for the tip and the good word.

I had Butler for Criminal, and hated every minute of it. However, she now does spring semester at Wash U St. Louis and so I did not have the opportunity for round two with her. Instead I have Judge Anderson, the federal district court judge, and he is fantastic.

As for Pennoyer v. Neff, I have left those silly men in the past, thankfully, but now more fully understand that my property can be attached for... my god, why am I talking about law school?!?!

Thanks also for recommending Nick's on Lady Street, that was going to be my next questions in the coming days/weeks.

Off to Goodwill!

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I've had a lot of stuff from J. Crew over the years. Generally, I find the chinos and polos great, certain outerware (my peacoat) fantastic, and everything else a tad dissapointing but still serviceable.

I wouldn't pay full price for the blazer in question but I would pay %50 off. The armholes on their tailored jackets are quite large which is a deal breaker for me most of the time.

I guess all of this is to say: J. Crew does some things a lot better than they do others although none of its miserable. Make sense?

·
Registered
578 Posts
I recently acquired the 3 button legacy blazer:

https://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/Me...souterwear/PRDOVR~90620/99101368850/90620.jsp

I got it when it was on deep discount (about 60% off). Quality is, of course, lower than you'd get with BB, etc. And it does have darts. However, it still has some very nice detailing: very nice 3/2 roll; natural shoulders; pick stitching on lapel; slim lapel (comparable to BB Uni blazer); slimmer but not skinny cut; and nice four season weight. And at the risk of heresy, I must admit I appreciate having a blazer in the rotation without gold buttons.

In short, while it is certainly not worth $300, I am very happy with it given what I paid.

Incidentally, the cut of this blazer seems to be the same as the "Aldridge" cut used for much of their suiting. During the aforementioned sale, Aldridge suits could be had for around $300. Not a bad deal, IMHO. Might pull the trigger if they ever go on deep discount again.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks everyone for the replies, although going in I expected the pejorative opinions of J. Crew.

As it turns out, I was walking through Belk today and was lucky enough to pick up an HSM blazer marked down from $395 to $120.

Darted, and no 3/2 roll, but for the price I thought it a pretty good find.

A few more finds like that and I will be set, but we shall see.

My only regret is that I had to give up the more modern narrow lapels, but that concern is not likely to be echoed in this thread.

If I may turn the conversation for a bit, in wearing this for a casual Friday look, would twill "dress" chinos be okay, or should I stick with a more dressy gabardine wool?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.